Spraying beds over cut perennials.

CK82

LawnSite Senior Member
Hello, I have a customer who has some large beds with Daffodils planted heavily throughout. The problem is, after they flower and are spent for the season, we cut them back. Then the weeds start to grow like mad, as they have an irrigation system that operates five days a week.

My question is, can we spot treat weeds in the perennial beds over where the Daffodils are planted, or will this affect the bulb/plant? At this time, the only good way of controlling the millions of weeds is by either mowing it and bagging, as there is no mulch to be sucked up, or by hedge trimming and cleaning up the weed remains.

I'm wondering if the Glyphosate will leach into the soil and eventually kill the bulb/plant?

Thank you, Chris

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
Hello, I have a customer who has some large beds with Daffodils planted heavily throughout. The problem is, after they flower and are spent for the season, we cut them back. Then the weeds start to grow like mad, as they have an irrigation system that operates five days a week.

My question is, can we spot treat weeds in the perennial beds over where the Daffodils are planted, or will this affect the bulb/plant? At this time, the only good way of controlling the millions of weeds is by either mowing it and bagging, as there is no mulch to be sucked up, or by hedge trimming and cleaning up the weed remains.

I'm wondering if the Glyphosate will leach into the soil and eventually kill the bulb/plant?

Thank you, Chris

Chris your customers irrigation practices are contributing to the weed infestation in all likely hood. If it was my bed I would consider a granular Pre emergent to control the weed seeds along with reducing the frequency or amount of water the beds are now receiving.
easy-lift guy

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
At our local botanic garden, we plant annuals as the daffodils tops die back.
Major weeds happen, of course. However it appears to me that annual flower plants followed by a pre-emergent like Snapshot or Barricade would stop most of the spurge, purslane and other weeds.

Seeded annuals like marigolds, or zinnias would be nice--but--then you might have a mixture with weeds that you could not spray.

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
No, the gly will not leach into the soil and kill the daffodil bulbs. Once this is cleaned up, encourage the customer to adjust the irrigation, bring in mulch, and use a pre-emergent and successive plantings as suggested above.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
If worried about systemic activity, Reward is an alternative product that I regularly use in ornamental beds. Will not apply glyphosate near desirable plants. Usage of glyphosate is why I have seen a number of shrubs and hedge plants just check out.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
#1 get the irrigation under control, is it really necessary to water that much to keep plants healthy?

For what it's worth I've applied turf pretty much every herbicide where dormant daffodils are and it hasn't seemed to hurt them (I wish it would). I really don't have a choice since people plant the sumbeaches everywhere. Did I mention I hate daffodils. I'm not the expert on bulbs but just telling you my experiences.

Top Forums