Spraying cracks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Advanced spray services, May 10, 2018.

1. Advanced spray services

Advanced spray services LawnSite Member

what Chemical would you guys recommend when it comes to spraying cracks in parking lots? Maybe get 2-3 months of control out of it ? I have four big parking lots to spray average size about 2 acres. Also any idea on a price to charge for spraying cracks only ?
    Thanks

2. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I’m in the same boat dealing with hardscape weeds. I go with a glyphosate / scythe cocktail for the kill. Works great — superfast burndown from the scythe and complete kill from the glyphosate. This year trying something new with then spraying dimension in the cracks (I have it on hand so that’s what I’ll be using). It should work in theory but I haven’t tried it yet.

3. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Gly works by preventing chlorophyll production in the weed and it only works if it is covering the green part of the plant and it needs a little time (week or so) to completely kill. Doesn't adding a weed killer that kills off the top of the weed quickly interfere with what gly does?
    I see people talk about adding a fast killing herbicide to gly all the time but it just doesn't make sense to me based on how they work?

jcollett83 likes this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

I sprayed a lot of cracks with gly, Dimension, and prodiamine this year. The Dimension seems hit or miss. Some of the sites are still clean but others have a lot of broadleaf in the parking lot already. I'll try it again though, even if I only get complete control on half the sites it saves a ton of labor for the maintenance crews.

The prodiamine seems to have been effective on all of them though.

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Gly is systemic so it just needs enough time to work it's way into the vascular system, if it can get down to the roots before the quick burn is complete it can still be effective.

You need to spray green tissue so it's absorbed well but it moves on from there.

Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There’s a product called arsenal
    It’s orginal purpose was to get applied under asphalt before it’s laid down
    It’s persistent for years
    I use it for BLM runways

http://www.bettervm.basf.us/products/arsenal-herbicide.html

It’s expensive
    But you don’t use much

But just remember it’s crazy persistent
    So don’t use it thinking you’ll plant something this year there...

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

When it gets hot and sticky out, I like to spray crack with Monkey Butt or something similar......

8. Wes Parker

Wes Parker LawnSite Member

I’ve mixed Pramitol or Saraha with my gly before and it usually takes care of it for the season but I think they both might leach so you have to be careful. I know Pramitol does. I sprayed an area one time at top of slope and before the year was out 2 trees at bottom of slope were dead.

9. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I’m not a biologist and I also didn’t invent the combimation. Check the Scythe label ;)
    Whatever the exact science of it is, I can attest that it works. The gly must get taken up by the plant before the Scythe disrupts the cell membranes. The huge advantage is that the weeds get burned down just about instantly and the gly provides a complete kill. Given the weed appearance after even just a couple of hours, there is never a question that you did something.

ETM likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea, Keith. Fast results make customers happy. Also for fast results, use Quicksilver or Dismiss, work on some weeds in a couple hours.
    I like to spray purslane with Quicksilver. Works quick.

Delmarva Keith likes this.