spraying wet weeds

americanlawn

LawnSite Fanatic
It drizzled most of the day here. Things were dry when we started early in the morning, but then occasional drizzle started to set in. I ended up pulling all our spray trucks in by late morning because the drizzle became consistent, and the weeds became constantly wet. The rain droplets were never large enough to wash off the herbicide, but....

I realize the best weed control sometimes happens during humid weather & light mist. But in this instance, we decided to quit spraying.

Photo is "spurge" (a difficult summer annual). The "white spots" on it are water droplets from today. (look closely in the background = pineapple weed we sprayed about a month ago during dry weather, and it's still holding on)

Thoughts?

004.jpg

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I would not. Success of treatment depends on adequate retention of spray on weeds. Gets really sketchy if applying at low volumes and the solution is not formulated to spread, then rapidly penetrate. I have applied to weeds after irrigation or morning rain provided there will be no more rain for the rest of the day. A constant drizzle would wash things off faster than you can get them on.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks. I get a two for one special. First one is tonight and tomorrow, next one is on Monday. The services, utilities and structures in this state are not made to take anything over 40 MPH winds. Then there is the rain. If it rains hard for any length of time, I will see flooding.

fl-landscapes

LawnSite Silver Member
Thanks. I get a two for one special. First one is tonight and tomorrow, next one is on Monday. The services, utilities and structures in this state are not made to take anything over 40 MPH winds. Then there is the rain. If it rains hard for any length of time, I will see flooding.

40 mph? I've seen people fart with more velocity.......batten down the hatches and be safe.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
That's right. People's roofs go in one of our common February wind storms. Especially the houses made before Hawaii became a state.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I hope you don't have any damage, Greendoc.

Take a look at my herbicide vs rain experiments.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=354369&highlight=rain+herbicide

Simulated rain had no effect after 45 minutes, partial effect after 30 minutes. I think a light rain would have no effect--but how light is a light rain? How to predict it?
I am pretty sure humid weather would be best.
If the solution drys on the leaf and the herbicide crystallizes--no further absorption can occur. That is a problem when spraying low volume in dry weather.

You spurge gets big out there in Des Moines, Larry. Pineapple weed must be tough. I just did a small herbicide test on spurge at my house with some herbicide combination solutions. Results in about 3 days; stay tuned.

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
Tomorrow will be a good day ifn it ain't too hot out. A little shot of some sort of available N will go a long way with my glyph. I am loaded and ready to spray landscapes today now the mowing is all caught up. I was gonna have tomorrow all to myself and thought I might go up to the state fair in DesM. Not happening. Spraying tomorrow. My wife works Sat. morning so I am not gonna make it this year. I'll take the kids to the park instead. I'm a bit bummed the rain didn't come Wednesday like they said it would. We had 80% for Wednesday this week and not a drop. Then today it spit all day on and off. I am a little peeved about it. Sorry to rant.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Larry what kind of spurge is that??
We only get the spotted kind but it isn't big and bushy and on steroids like that stuff!

Greendoctor, batten down the hatches and be safe man. I hope those cane's are more bark than bite.

Top Forums