1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spreader/sprayer Which one?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1stClassLawn, Nov 15, 2018.

1. 1stClassLawn

1stClassLawn LawnSite Member

ok guys due to an injury the permagreen is going to be difficult to use. Broke left ankle, right foot, having left knee replaced..

So if you are buying a new machine, Which one?

Turfco
    Toro/Exmark
    ZSpray

Thanks
    Jim

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd think the toro would be the eaisest to use in your situation. that said I don't think you need to be on any of them for a while. if budget isn't an issue get a small lawn tractor (with turf tires) and a boom sprayer on the back

zlandman and Doc8406 like this.
  3. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say the toro. But if zspray gets there things together then a Z might be the way to go. Steel green is even a better option. If stinger ever release there’s that might be worth a look. But from my experience my Toro gave me absolutely no problems this year at all. Super reliable. I bought a T3100 new had numerous problems with it. To many belts for me. Lots of folks love them though But you have time to do your research for th e winter. Demo as many as you can

That Guy Gary and 1stClassLawn like this.
  4. Marine03112

1st class it also depends on your terrain. The toro is awesome on hills.

That Guy Gary and 1stClassLawn like this.
  5. 1stClassLawn

Never heard of “Steelgreen” but I will look, thanks.

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the Toro/Exmark, just be aware that there is poor support for it from dealers that aren't familiar with spray equipment.

This isn't the dealers fault, they don't get much from the manufacturer. The machine itself is simple as dirt though and easy to work on.

I've had to take mine over some rough lawns and the suspension is poor. I have arthritis in my hips and lower back and too much rough terrain causes a lot of pain.

I don't think any other machine would be substantially better from what I've seen. Really good orthopedic insoles or shoes help a lot, they don't stop the abuse in my experience but really help a lot with recovering.

1stClassLawn likes this.
  7. 1stClassLawn

I have had flat feet, and knee problems for years so the value of good forward and insoles is greatly understood, just trying to get a line on new machine, the permagreen magnum has helped a lot over dragging a hose. ..Thanks!

That Guy Gary likes this.
  8. Marine03112

Steelgreen is the guys who broke off from Zspray. They now make a better but similar product

1stClassLawn likes this.
  9. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck to you. I cringe at some of my lawns just because of my arthritis, but really the ones that beat me up are large commercials with minimal care. No one actually carries if gophers and voles are tearing up the perimeter 200 yards out so the caretakers suffer. :cool:

If I did mostly residential and small biz I'd probably not hurt as much. I hope you recover well before you have to get back on a machine. :drinkup:

1stClassLawn likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I put a foam rubber gardener's kneeling pad on my Permagreen foot platform. Held on with zip ties. Smoothed out the bumps and vibration. Go with double thick, to be sure.