1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

spring cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1st Class, Feb 27, 2012.

1. 1st Class

1st Class LawnSite Member
    from MO

can anyone help me on how to charge to trim/prune shrubs. I would like to charge one set price for each shrub, but do not have any idea what that would be.

2. Hughes Landscaping

Hughes Landscaping LawnSite Member

Your best option would be to charge based on the amount if time it takes with a minimum of $xx. So if your time is worth $60 an hour, charge based on the amount if time it will take you. But make sure you have a minimum charge of $30 or so, that way you won't waste your time doing one shrub that takes 5 minutes.

This is how we calculate our pruning and trimming prices. Don't forget to recoup your disposal fees also. We have to pay $20 to dump yard debris per trailer load.

3. green jeans 509

green jeans 509 LawnSite Member

Agreed to have a min charge. This year I am doing a $60 min charge because a couple times last year I got called to do some mild 1/2hr work. After driving there working and getting back home I charged $35. It took 20 min round trip=$20, say at least 1.5 gal of gas= $5, pay myself= $30. As you can see I already lost money so it won't happen like that again this yr. If you want a per bush rate up here most places (little guys) start at like $5 for a small bush maybe 2ft tall, $8-9 for med up to 4 ft and $12+ for anything over that. As cautioned though you may loose big time if you don't have a min charge. good luck

4. gimmejava

gimmejava LawnSite Member

My first couple of seasons, I charged per hedge based on the size. After a couple of seasons I got an idea of how long it would take, so I based the estimate on time with $/hour. Charging per bush is a good way not to get burned early on, but I definitely recommend having a minimum charge just for a site visit in case they only have you trim up a couple of bushes. That was an excellent suggestion from the previous post.

5. 1st Class

from MO

Thank you for your help

6. 1st Class

from MO

thanks for your info, it will help

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Charge by the hour, not by shrub...save a severe pain the butikus.
    Give an estimate slightly over what the job will be, then charge actual hours and come under the estimate, and you will be a hero!

Never contract a shrub job.