Spring fert w no weed control?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GRANTSKI, Feb 9, 2018.

1. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

How long does it take to get a license in CT?

2. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I missed the boat on classes .One option was 3 months @ 3x a week and an hour away from me. The other class was 1x a week but I missed sign up & still not set on using pesticides myself. Written + oral test very tough from what I've heard

3. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow its only a multiple choice test here and not that hard. After that 12 continuing education hours every 3 years. We also have to have proof of insurance and get inspection stickers for our equipment.

We also have to be licensed to use fertilizer.

4. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

No license needed for straight fert .I think part of the intense testing / etc is most of the state borders the ocean or rivers. So lots of pollution problems from both pesticides & nitrogen.

hort101 likes this.
  5. pyroron

pyroron LawnSite Member

starter fertilizer

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you are in a no phosphorus area--usually you would want slow, plus quick release nitrogen. Combine that with about 25 percent as much potassium.
    Organic fertilizer, like Milorganite 5-2-0, is usually allowed even though it is high in phosphorus. However potassium is missing.
    If regular turf fertilizer is fine with Mrs customer, then 24-0-11 with 30 percent slow-release is my preference.
    I would suggest applying about a week before the normal greenup in your town. This would be about two weeks before the normal first mowing. The air and soil temp has to rise to about 45 degrees F before growth begins in spring.
    That is for cool-season grass, of course.
    Warm season grasses need more heat, naturally. I would say fertilize about 2 weeks before the first mowing.

Be absolutely sure your customer is OK with no crabgrass control. And--that they can live with the dandelions, chickweed, and clover. Give them plenty of nitrogen to increase the grass thickness. Try to sell them on an overseeding program with ultra-high quality seed. This is to increase density of the turf. It needs to be knit together tight to reduce space for weeds to grow. Be sure they are prepared to keep it most. Thin, burned-out grass is highly prone to crabgrass and summer weeds like purslane, spurge and black medic.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018