1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spring Pre M on fall overseeded lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lance1, Feb 12, 2006.

1. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm new to this GREAT site. Question is should I use a pre m this spring on customers lawns that were seeded in late October Early November or should I just treat the weeds & crabgrass later. Really appreciate your replies of your experiences with this scenario.

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I will not use a Pre-Emergence on the lawns I seeded late in the fall, instead I will put down a round of starter fert. I already explained to these customers they would experience a degree of weed growth and that getting the turf established is the most important thing at this point (spring '06), I went on to explain to them if we get the turf up to a healthy stand we can use a Post-Emergence such as Drive to help bring weeds under control.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Same as above.

4. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks Grren Pro. I'll communicate to my customers your recommendations, sure they'll be happy to hear it.

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

anytime, BTW welcome to the site :waving:

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

all the yards that i put in last fall got plenty of starter an had a few weeds in them so the pre merge is a definite for spring unless ya want weed infestation. see ya george

7. H2o By Design

H2o By Design LawnSite Member

I would put pre emerg down or you will have weed infestation. They also make a preemerge for newly seeded lawns that will allow the seed to come up and stop weeds but name slips me at this time:confused:

best of luck whatever you do

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

not knowing the grass type you re-seeded with and your temp after the re-seed, i would say the seed that is going to make it is already germinated and go ahead and put the pre-m down. remember that the reason for pre-m is to reduce the comepition between the grass and the weed, so if you skip the pre-m, and start getting the weed infestation, the grass wont have a chance anyway. besides if you use post emergent control you time will be limited to hot temp of summer.

9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Tupersan is the product that can be used on seeded lawn.