spring scalping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mastering lawncare, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Mastering lawncare

Mastering lawncare LawnSite Member

hey yall. I'm located near little rock Arkansas and i'm wondering if you can scalp the lawns in spring here to help them grow.

2. Blake Powers

Blake Powers LawnSite Member

What type of grass? IMO bermuda for sure needs to be scalped, but fescue however does not.

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

You talking about possibly using a power rake and seed,or actually cutting the yard to dirt?

A lot of different ways and methods people do, especially depending where you live.

I’ve heard/seen of zoysia being torched every fall here.Some people say cutting short of some grasses makes them grow faster

4. OP
    OP
    Mastering lawncare

Mastering lawncare LawnSite Member

I have mainly Bermuda, just wondering if you should cut it as low as you can In the spring. It's something I've seen in YouTube videos

5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Ideally in spring, Bermuda needs to be scalped as low as you can go and clippings must be removed, once the grass has reached about 50% green-up. The idea is to get sunlight on the soil and warm it up to wake up the bermuda, then hit it with N to really push it to grow out.

Typically thats late March/April-ish here in N Alabama. You really want to watch the weather and how its trending to determine what and how much fert to put out. Typically I'll go light, 16-4-8 or 10-10-10 in April immediately before/after scalp, and once its 100% green I'll hammer it with 30-0-10 at 1-2lb N/1000. You really want to push it harder at this time.

Wintry grasses, no. Zoysia yes. Other summer lawn types like centipede or Ag, no.