Sprinkler parts inventory

snomaha

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looking for experience from 500k and above in sprinkler revenue on managing parts inventory. Anyone using a software system? techs responsible for stocking their own vehicles? We do not have a documented process in place and it's killing me in excess late season inventory sitting on the shelves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
I never had much luck with any of the above: I tried to buy "for the job" and keep a stock of everything needed for service work in the shop or the truck, but, I was like you, I never liked sitting on inventory, especially pipe. I would have a much larger motor home if I'd collected a nickel every time one of my guys said, "we're out of 1" 45s". :hammerhead:

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
I think we all get that way. After July, I tell me guys to watch what they buy, and ask each other if the other guy has something before they go buy a box of whatever. I have a ton of 1" poly ells right now because both guys bought a box late in the season.
Sorry can't help ya, I don't have a system in place either.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
Switch to poly and you will never need another 45 again
:laugh: Reminds me of a product one of my REPS turned me onto years ago. It was called "glueable poly", I think it was a pool product, took a special glue and it seemed to me, a cool way of getting over/under roots/mainline, etc. We tried it on one job, seemed to mate with sch 40 pvc fittings, until I got a call one Saturday morning and found that all the connections had blown. Seemed it was not made for pressure applications. :dizzy::hammerhead:

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
someone had the "flex pvc" tubing at a show, but did caution the (drooling) onlookers that it was not for continuous pressure

OP
snomaha

snomaha

LawnSite Bronze Member
Had a install crew foreman put in a 4k stock order mid November the day before a 6" snowstorm????? I'm sure my vendor loves us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, whoda thunk it? I forsaw it solving manifold rebuilds, especially considering that pvc unions weren't inventoried by distributors at the time.

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
What kind of invoicing setup do you have?

You got to figure out some way to to keep track of all the parts used from your invoicing

Last edited: