• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Sprinkler Parts

adam t

LawnSite Member
We have been with the same provider of our sprinkler supplies since the beginning of the business is it worth it to you to shop around on things that are generically the same such as fittings and pipe to find the best price? Does anyone buy in larger bulk quantities?

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
is it worth it to you to shop around on things that are generically the same such as fittings and pipe to find the best price? Does anyone buy in larger bulk quantities?
I wouldn't see how it would hurt to look.

Near us, there are two suppliers. Ewing and United pipe supply that are less then a block from eachother.. (This is just one item) but Rain bird nozzles are like 15cents more per nozzle at ewing then ups. It adds up

sprinklerchris

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, pricing does vary dramatically between suppliers. Some must do their pricing at corporate and not understand local market prices. We find Ewing is very problematic in this regard.

We've also found with the recession that many manufacturers are now selling direct if you buy in larger lots. For example, we now buy swing pipe by the pallet and swing elbows in 1,000 unit lots, direct, paying about 1/2 of the local going rate. ( http://www.directbuyirrigation.com ) Then on slow days we can prebuild some of our own assemblies.

cwoodbury

LawnSite Member
Price DOES matter...but is only one component of the total cost structure of running a professional landscape company. The better and more accurately your vendors inventory, stock, count, deliver, and account for what they sell you, the lower (by many fold) are your acquisition costs. Not to mention the product knowledge, troubleshooting, and service assistance a good distributor, offers. It all boils down to trust, and a good distributor, like Ewing instills trust through its ability to offer the best overall VALUE when price (across the board) and service received are weighed and balanced.

Having said that, if you are in a position to buy large lots of materials, and you clearly inderstand the [sometimes significant] financial trade-off, discuss it with your distributor to see what options you have. Never assume that what makes sense to you won't to them...

ARGOS

LawnSite Silver Member
Not to mention the product knowledge, troubleshooting, and service assistance a good distributor, offers. It all boils down to trust, and a good distributor, like Ewing instills trust through its ability to offer the best overall VALUE when price (across the board) and service received are weighed and balanced.
I don't have a good distributor within a two hour drive (which happens to be Ewing). I completely agree with cwoodbury when it comes to the non tangible value of a good distributor.

OP
A

adam t

LawnSite Member
hey sprinkler chris i appreciate the link and the new for the online direct buy it is something that i am looking for and i know that it can be a good benefit for us i am looking to find a good deal on parts that i always am buying because it is hard to keep up with the bad economy.

esnipe8

LawnSite Senior Member
Price DOES matter...but is only one component of the total cost structure of running a professional landscape company. The better and more accurately your vendors inventory, stock, count, deliver, and account for what they sell you, the lower (by many fold) are your acquisition costs. Not to mention the product knowledge, troubleshooting, and service assistance a good distributor, offers. It all boils down to trust, and a good distributor, like Ewing instills trust through its ability to offer the best overall VALUE when price (across the board) and service received are weighed and balanced.

Having said that, if you are in a position to buy large lots of materials, and you clearly inderstand the [sometimes significant] financial trade-off, discuss it with your distributor to see what options you have. Never assume that what makes sense to you won't to them...
I see you are from Phoenix.....Ewings corp. headquarters...... ;) J/K.

We have buying exclusively through Ewing for over 15 years. I did not start bidding our protects out until last year.
After "shopping" I found out that John Deere's prices were on average %10 lower, with pricing locked in for the year.
I am now beginning to buy all of our supplies from JDL.

OP
A

adam t

LawnSite Member
hey guys what is EWING i have never heard about this before it is a good distributor what is it like to be able to deal with them?

irrig8r

LawnSite Platinum Member
Of course cwoodbury is connected to Ewing. Just check out his member profile.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, or with Ewing. I buy from them, especially Hunter and FX products.

I've been a little frustrated at regular personnel turnover at the San Jose branch... they don't know me there anymore and I do less business with them since another branch opened up closer to me.

About cwoodbury:

Number of Years in Business
21 years or longer

Services Your Company Provides
Other

Company Biography
Ewing Irrigation provides landscape, irrigation and golf course professionals with the supplies they need to create healthy, sustainable environments. Ewing maintains branch operations in 195 convenient locations from coast to coast.​

Last edited: