Sprinkler Valve Box question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by warrenpeace, Jul 24, 2014.

  1. warrenpeace

    warrenpeace LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    We bought a house with a 9 zone sprinkler system. All 9 valves are right next to each other. Currently they are in a wooden box that is 62" x 18" x 8". The wood is rotting and needs to be replaced. Is there anywhere that sells a plastic valve box that big? Does anyone have a good recommendation for an alternative box? We would prefer to not use wood to avoid the rotting situation again. Is it possible to have multiple "standard size" right next to each other to cover them all? Any help is certainly appreciated.
  2. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,594

    You will need to replumb to get the valves to properly fit a valve box so they are serviceable. I would like to a see a picture though.:)
  3. greenmonster304

    greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,690

    That is a big box. If you can find one that big be prepared to pay big bucks for it, several hundred. The problem with multiple boxes is that where they meet each other is likely to be on top of a valve.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,752

    As long as it's only 8 inches deep, you might find some common boxes with straight sides, and place them side-by-side, or maybe even cut away most of the adjoining sides where the boxes meet.

    And yes, we need a photo or two of this.

    I would often do a partial replumb of systems like these. Leave as much in place as possible, but remove what valves get in the way of standard boxes being placed over the manifold. The removed valves are relocated and tied into the supply and zones' plumbing at points that are outside of the other valve boxes.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  5. GreenI.A.

    GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,131

    I can look at the size tomorrow, but we have a box we refer to as the "coffin" sitting in our shop. We special ordered it last year and didn't end up using it. I haven't looked at it in a while, but to guess, I'm thinking it's about 60"x24x18"
  6. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,932

    Go to your local irrigation house.

    You have John Deere Landscapes, Ewing irrigation, and Horizon Irrigation(may be called something else now) plus a couple that I think are in your general area.

    There is a place that you can order a custom Fiberglass rock as a box cover.

    By the way, I am assuming that the valves are above ground, ASV's since you are west of the Rockies and that is a more common installation of valves than below ground in a non-commercial application.

    Either way, still go to the irrigation houses, however, it will be pricey.
  7. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark
    Messages: 4,471

    At first I was assuming underground but if they are above ground an option is to have someone fabricate a cover out of sheet metal. I've had hvac (duct work) people make covers for backflows for me. They can even insulate them if desired.
  8. warrenpeace

    warrenpeace LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    Here is a picture of it. One of my neighbors said the late husband of the previous owner "fancied himself a handyman" but wasn't quite as good as he claimed to be.

  9. whiffyspark

    whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,561

    Besides the rat nest wiring that's much better than I pictured.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,752

    Strictly for the money, you do the same again but maybe with a composite material that won't rot away. And also cut notches for the pipes exiting the box.

Share This Page