Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new customer call me back. His zoysia lawn was covered with spurge spotted and prostrate spurge.. really the only weeds he has but he has a ton. A month ago I blanket sprayed MSM turf on the lawn at max rate. Got a text today saying none of it has died. I’ll give him the bene of the doubt I’m going out there tomorrow but dang that’s hard to believe.
We hit 96 yesterday and were over 90 again today. Dicamba will get it as far as I can remember but I think that will smoke the turf in this heat. Open for suggestions.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Was this existing spurge at the time of msm spray or could this be new since the spray? MSM does have a little residual but I don’t feel enough to consider it a pre option.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’ll be hard for me to tell. I’m going by homeowner telling me it never died. But it’s a homeowner so he may not know new growth from old dead but I would have figured he’d see the spurge die out at least within the week after the spray a month ago.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we were at more normal temps here I could smoke it without damage to the lawn. But new customer so I do want him to see me kill it IYKWIM.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
MSM 0.5 oz per acre. + 1.5-2 oz per acre Quicksilver(Carfentrazone). Apply with flat fan nozzles 40 gallons carrier volume per acre. Include 0.25% Nonionic surfactant.

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
Yup! Spurge is a problem. A good pre-emergent 3 months ago would have been a help. Also a taller cut with a more dense type turfgrass. Spurge needs plenty of sun. Try to spray just before frost--which will kill it--even 40 degrees slows spurge down.
Reassure him it will be gone soon and that you will treat with a pre-emergent next July. (Free.)
Myself I would add a good surfactant.
This pic is in a parking lot with a bit of trash and a stone to mark the dividing line. Trimec on the right and Trimec plus yucca-based surfactant on the left.
Road surface Asphalt Grass People in nature Groundcover

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
In addition to the Trimec (which includes dicamba) and surfactant--I suggest adding Quicksilver (carfentrazone).
Or just apply a surfactant with (max rate) Speedzone (which already includes carfentrazone).
Carfentrazone works fast, of course, 24 hours, or sooner.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Dicamba alone + Carfentrazone is good. I find that warm season turf has issues with MCPP and to a lesser extent 24D. Spot spraying causes more issues vs a low rate broadcast spray that is done effectively. A chemlawn type gun is not an effective device for spraying Spurge.

Reactions: Rick1111

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going dismiss NXT at .25 oz per k on the zoysia. With no surfactant. I don’t ever use one with Dismiss anyway. I took pics this time it’s just so dang hard to see and whoever cut his lawn cuts it short. IMO it’s better than last month when I blanket sprayed MSM Turf although he does not think so. But there’s still a ton of it.

Yup! Spurge is a problem. A good pre-emergent 3 months ago would have been a help. Also a taller cut with a more dense type turfgrass. Spurge needs plenty of sun. Try to spray just before frost--which will kill it--even 40 degrees slows spurge down.
Reassure him it will be gone soon and that you will treat with a pre-emergent next July. (Free.)
Myself I would add a good surfactant.
This pic is in a parking lot with a bit of trash and a stone to mark the dividing line. Trimec on the right and Trimec plus yucca-based surfactant on the left. View attachment 522336
3 months ago would have been what mid June? I’ve never really thought about putting down a mid season pre emergent… it’s crossed my mind but the benefit for the cost I’m not sure would work in my favor. Our last pre emergent is down by end March. Always wondered if it would really benefit me with one later pre ‘em round.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got my first complaint but after the explanation she understood what I was doing. Yeah I pretty much turned her lawn into a Dalmatian with brown spots where spurge was. I spot sprayed her lawn. New customer another one that came in after all our pre em rounds. She said ok thanks for letting me know. She had sent pics over and I knew instantly what it was. Dismiss NXT spot sprayed on her spurge. Oh well. I told her I had a choice to let it keep spreading or actually do something about it this year since she missed our pre emergent rounds and I chose to do something about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts