Spyker s 100 or turfco t3100

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Currently I have no lawn app clients so it's kinda hard to know exactly what my needs are. My experience on terrain is the yards I mow and seeing lawn doctor treat them.

That being said, I found out quick mowing that my body can't handle walking behind a mower in summer. I almost got out of the biz but I found solutions and both equipment that can handle the hills in my area.

All that being said I have a 200 gallon space saver currently for spraying. Broad cast spraying will be done in cooler Temps mostly so I don't think that will be so bad on me. I plan to do my first marketing push with fall pre emergent rounds. I think I have alot of mow clients I can sell on it to generate cash flow. Make enough money from mowing and rentals that I can afford to not take any profit from spraying for a while and reinvest into it and grow it. I also need about 10 to 15k in write offs this year so it could be a good time to buy. Just don't want to spend senselessly just for write offs.

So here are my thoughts.

Option 1: jrco spreader mounted to my Bradley hydro walk. Can put on my 452 gravely if needed. Drag a hose. Mount small tanks for summer spot spraying. Very concerned about the non-stainless construction of the mowers not holding up.

Option 2: sypker s100. Drag a hose. Mount small tanks for summer spot spraying. Get a turfco later if I want to quit dragging a hose and use this cheaper unit for hills I don't trust the turf co on. Could add Gregson Clarke drop in sprayer as needed also...
Rinse my space saver and make it a dedicated flower bed sprayer for spring and fall.

Option 3: turf Co t3100 plus chest spreader and space saver for steep hills. Get another space saver eventually for beds, just use my battery back pack for beds at the moment.

Are the chariot hps and spyker s100 type spreaders better at hillsides than turfco t3100 and 36 inch zspray jr type machines? Wondering if the s100 would be like my 36 hydro walk and be the cure all to hills.

As a final setup for a solo guy who has a high value for making work easy and a 18 ft trailer to carry everything how does this final setup sound? Spyker s100 for super hills. T3100 for most everything. Zmax if needed down the road for big lots. Chest spreader and hose for whatever else if I don't turn those jobs down in the beginning. 200 gallon skid for beds. 200 gallon skid for warm season turf to act as nurse tank for riders and spraying areas riders can't go. If the t3100 can go everywhere the s100 can then i can just delete the s100 and get the t3100 which would be great. Just seems I've read the s100/chariot platform is king of the hill side.

Property sizes are all over. Lots of 8-10k sq ft which are faster with hose I've heard, however, I do care more about comfort than efficiency.

Thanks for any and all input.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm kinda leaning towards getting the t3100 and seeing how it performs on hills and see if I truly need the s100 in my fleet as well. I've seen alot on here say once you quit dragging hoses you never look back so sprayer spreader at the start maybe best.

Does the little 10 hp Briggs have enough power to pull up hills?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
You should be able to spray 1000 sqft per minute with the hose. Lawns under 10,000 sqft are best suited to hose application. You mean mixing fertilizer with your herbicide solution--right? Or...do you mean use a spreader first and then apply herbicide--two step method? (But only for two aps per year.)
Or...do you mean using only a "token" amount of fertilizer when applying your summer liquid weed control? (One step).

Not sure what you plan to do with a sprayer unit dedicated to flower beds. Insects? Pre-emergent? Fertilizer?

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
My plan is to have pre and post liquid and fertilizer granular. Exception maybe granular pre for beds but the few beds I've done so far I sprayed with a back pack. Dedicated spray tank would be for spraying beds with gallery and deminsion. A few apps could be done 1 step instead of 2 depending.

I know hose is faster on small properties however if the time is relatively close and the rider is easier I would rather ride. I'll have the hose because I can think of a few properties that a rider absolutely wouldn't make sense. However I can think of alot of small properties that I could treat with a rider.

My mow setup is a 52 a 36 and a 21. Before I decided to move into spraying I was going to add a 30 also. Several would be trailer queens, but the limited times I do use them....it's nice to have,lol.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Advance, you know more about the situation in Arkansas. Your plan should work.

I do not know about the feasibility of spraying flower beds backpack with Gallery and Dimension--did you mean mixed together? Maybe someone on Lawnsite has done this and can comment. Should work. You need a clean water source, of course. Clean any weed killer out of your backpack. Maybe granules with a chest spreader would work better.

In theory, you can use the same tank to spray lawns and refill your ride-on. You need a newly calculated fill-chart for this purpose. This needs to account for the herbicide and fert already in the solution. Then you just use a jug to add the proper lower amount to the ride-on tank reducing it to account for about the 12 percent already in the solution.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Some of the beds Ive sprayed a liquid solution I think will work better due to proximity to water or lack of irrigation.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I guess what one thing I'm really wondering is would the s100 out perform the t3100 on hills? My biggest issue is with pushing the spreader. However if both units handle hills about the same then then I'd almost rather just spend a little extra and be able to spray also.

lawn king

LawnSite Silver Member
Only you can decide what equipment is best for you. I can tell you from experience that the lesco hps can hold and fertilize on steep grades that other ride ons cant touch. This is one of the reasons i have kept one in my stable for 17 years!

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Only you can decide what equipment is best for you. I can tell you from experience that the lesco hps can hold and fertilize on steep grades that other ride ons cant touch. This is one of the reasons i have kept one in my stable for 17 years!

K, in all the searching I did I saw someone else say that but it was several years ago. Wanted to confirm it. My biggest need is hill side applications of granular product at the moment.

I have a feeling ill want to get away from pulling hoses but that is more of a speculation than a confirmed need. I've pushed the spreader enough times this year to know for sure I hate that,lol.

Just didn't want to buy the s100 then get the t3100 a year or 2 later only to find out that they both hold hills equally and the t3100 does it all and I should have got it from the beginning. Atleast if I decide to go t3100 to quit dragging hoses the s100 will still have a purpose in my fleet.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Didn't realize it but I can get the lesco hps for about the same price as the s100. May just go that route instead of spyker since I already have the lesco push spreader...

Top Forums