1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine (Floratam) weed control...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tamadrummer, Nov 19, 2007.

  1. tamadrummer

    tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,102

    Although I am not licensed to apply professionally at this point, I do treat my own yard and I am waiting for the study guides to arrive from UFAS Applying Pesticides Correctly and Ornamental and Turfgrass pest management so that I can become licensed next year.

    Soooooo after that long explanation of nothing, can any of the pros here please verify the accuracy of this study before I go out and buy speedzone St. Augustine formula. I have plenty of plantain and dollarweed to go around right now, I just applied 16-4-8 with 3% fe and micros to the lawn and then a bifeteren (sp) for pest control and now it is time for weed control and I thought I was going to buy the liquid atrizine but now I am thinking that speedzone might be the right choice.

    Here is the article I am asking for verification of actual real life accuracy for: http://grove.ufl.edu/~turf/weeds/broadleaf.html
  2. olive123

    olive123 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 500

    well...first of all...do you have time with a pc company so that you can take the exam? Used to be you needed schooling and experience....(sorry)
    anyway...speedzone is a contact herbicide and by itself, in my experience and opinion, sucks. Atrazine is the hands down winner for dollarweed. Now it does add extra zip to an atrazine application, however you being unlicensed can only get the lame 4 percent product at home depot.
    your next app after the weed killer should be a quality fungicide.
  3. tamadrummer

    tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,102

    The requirements are now that you take 6 hours of class time and 2 ceus. online.
    I am not really interested in doing a boatload of applications but I would like to be capable of doing them if necessary and doing them as a licensed operator without the worry of fines because I am breaking a law. Currently I give cards from a spray company that I know from church when asked about fert/pest/weed control and explain that I cannot/will not do it until licensed.

    Thanks for the advice about the fungicide.
  4. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    Someone needs to explain the differences between a LIMITED and Commercial Pesticide License to you. Olive is correct and you will have to work for a Commercial CPO for at least a year with a degree in Horticultural to treat turf grass in the state of Florida.
  5. tamadrummer

    tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,102

    I will be applying for the Limited license, not commercial. For the limited license I called the extension here in Pasco County and they told me there "are not class reqs" and no classes avail to help with the test but reading online at the Dept. of Ag.'s website it looks like she was wrong about the class req and ceu req.

    Am I wrong?
  6. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    Pasco County is not offering classes or the Required 6 hours of CEU's under Fla. Law # 482 to sit for the test. That doesn't mean other counties or the many private CEU providers (myself included) who offer the Limited 6 hour CEU course required to sit for the 50 Multiply guess test.

    The Limited Pesticide License (more commonly known as the ROUNDUP License) doesn't allow treatment of Lawns in any way shape or form. Under Fla Law # 482 a Limited Pesticide License, it only allows treatment of Ornamental plants with caution labeled product from a hand pump sprayer no larger than 4 gallons. Electric Backpack are not allowed with the Limited License. Fact is by true letter of the 482 Limited license law as written, Weeds in the side walk or drive way may not be treated.
  7. tamadrummer

    tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,102

    Are you in central Florida? The extension would not even offer names of companies for me to take classes from and actually was kind of put out by the question. She referred me to PHCC for an Associates degree in hort. if I wanted to take classes...

    I would like to take life applicable classes that will actually help me be a better operator.
  8. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    I got my CPO after receiving a degree in Horticulture and working under a CPO for one year. I was lucky enough to find a CPO who came to work for me and I have never worked for a Pesticide company that I didn't own. The Education you would receive from a college would give you the scientific theory to provide the best service your customer could expect.

    PS I am over 100 miles south of you and I am not currently give CEU classes. Check with your surrounding county extension services for Limited License CEU's and testing.
  9. cpel2004

    cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,415

    The Commercial Pesticide License requires at least 24 semester hours in Hort, Botany, Entomology and another one with one year experience, or you can work for someone for 3 years. The Limited is only for Round Up your local extension should offer classes.
  10. bug-guy

    bug-guy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,029

    check with the hernando cty extension i herad the give one

Share This Page