1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine lawn needs help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GPZ, Apr 4, 2001.

1. GPZ

GPZ LawnSite Member

I have a lawn (small suburban lot) of well-established St. Augustine grass. It is beginning to concern me, though - it feels as though there is excessive thatch and I am uncertain of how to deal with it. Is a thatch rake my best bet? If anyone can point me to a resource or two on proper upkeep of this vine-type grass, I would sure appreciate it. Your personal hints, tips and warnings are all certainly welcome, too.

TIA,

GPZ

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

What variety of St. Augustine do you have? Here in Florida, we deal with primarily Floratam and Bitter Blue, but do have a few other varieties that are lower growing. The biggest thatch builders are over-fertilizing and over-watering. Now as what to do about it once you have a build up, well the thatch rake will take you forever and is WAY too much effort to even be considered. What I have done: although it is rare to see people do this in Florida, about five years ago, we verti-cut several St. Augustine lawns. It will look bad for two weeks, but it worked, we managed to have better looking lawns within 5 weeks, much thinner. What we have done since then is to lower the cutting height in the winter and after about 7 or 8 cuts by early spring it has much less noticeable thatch. By lower I don't mean scalping, but a full 1-1 1/2" lower than we cut in the summer. This method also leaves the lawn looking a little rough since you actually see the thatch layer near the top, but it is worth it in the spring. There are some organic methods for dethatching to, but I am not really sure how practical they are.

Also don't worry about ridding the lawn of all thatch, some is beneficial.

[Edited by Keith on 04-04-2001 at 05:25 PM]

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member