1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine Mower options

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by LaVaughn Hamilton, Jun 27, 2020.

1. LaVaughn Hamilton

LaVaughn Hamilton LawnSite Member

Good day, I am writing from the Freeport, Grand Bahama island, your friendly neighbors to the east. Can anyone in here recommend a mower brand that does well for st. augustine, I know the usual is go with the nearest dealer, but warranty is voided soon as it leaves the country. With that said, the three brands I am looking at is wright stander zk, Exmark Staris and Scag Vride 2. I am a solo operator with a licensed company, and should be upgrading soon due to government support.

2. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

I only have experience with Wright, John Deere, and Exmark. No experience with Scag.

I'd say Wright and Exmark are the same as far as cut quality. Both do very well. John Deere is still the best. Main difference is sometimes you have to double cut to get stragglers or to smooth things out, but the Deere is almost always a one pass even in wet conditions.

As far as stand ons go, Wright is way ahead of everyone else with build quality. You have to look at details to see why they're better, but they are.

Scag has a better cut than Wright/Exmark, but Wright has the best overall build. I'd personally get a Wright. It doesn't have a bad cut, it just won't cut literally everything in one pass like a Deere or Scag. You might have to double cut here and there. It has the least maintenance, it's the easiest to work on, and built with the most heavy duty construction bar none.

3. Chip1wa

Chip1wa LawnSite Member

I have a St. Augustine yard here in sunny South Louisiana and my Gravely 42" deck makes the turf look like butter!

I travel for work quite a bit and notice different areas, different parts of the State you see more of one particular brand of mower. The same holds true for outboard motors. One area I see boatloads of Yamahas, other areas Evinrudes, other areas Mercurys.

LaVaughn Hamilton likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    LaVaughn Hamilton

LaVaughn Hamilton LawnSite Member

Ohhhh thank you this is thorough enough for me, especially with the type of lawns that we have. Most persons get their yard cut once a month.........it's rough. Hahaha. So I don't necessarily need the best cut quality right now. I just need a tank that can take a beating and keep on ticking.