St. Augustine - planting sprigs/runners/stolons

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by weeze, Jun 7, 2017.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

anyone tried sprigging st. augustine before? i'm giving it a go on my own yard. my yard was about 3/4 carpet grass (carpet grass looks very similar to st. augustine) and the rest was junk grass and dallis grass. i sprayed the bad parts and killed it all off last year and then we had a drought which killed off 1/4 of the carpet grass. so now the front yard is all junk but the side is still pretty good with carpet grass. i have a customer with st. augustine so i pulled a bunch of sprigs from their lawn that were growing over the sidewalks, driveway, and flower beds, etc. and put them in a large cup of water. i put them in the ground like in this video and i'm hoping they will take root and spread over the yard. once it gets a grip i can put down more sprigs until the entire yard is covered. best of all it's completely free. :D

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is hard enough to get it started from sod.......forget plugging

AGRinATX and RussellB like this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've heard it works so i'm giving it a shot.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sprigging is how many turf areas in Hawaii are established. However, site prep and a working irrigation system are essential. Firstly, no weeds. Existing vegetation must be dead. Area must be cultivated, graded, then compacted to prevent subsequent settling. Then, sprigs are either scattered on the surface and topped with soil or compost, or else pressed into the soil with a machine known as a fairway planter. Finally, that area must be kept evenly moist for the next 30 days. Why not sod? In my state, it is a given that a fine turf area has irrigation and sod costs twice as much as sprigs.

Dawson likes this.
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

It would be much eaiser to buy 10 pieces of zoysia and cut them into squares with your stick edgar and plant them. St. augstine is a weed.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah but i already have carpet grass which is a variety of st. augustine. i like the way it looks and it chokes out all the other weeds so you don't have to worry about spraying the lawn or anything. zoysia would be ok but it is slower to spread. centipede is another option but seeding would be required too.

this st. augustine is free so it's the best option right now. :laugh:

i can't stand bermuda so i will not do that. too much upkeep involved with it to keep the weeds out. i want something that takes care of itself basically which is st. augustine, centipede, or zoysia.

if this doesn't work i may just cut out some st. augustine plugs and plant them.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you planted them one foot apart--and you had 10,000 sqft. Wouldn't take long. At 1000 per day that is only about 10 days. Its best to plant four per sqft, of course.
    I am sure the sod farms have special equipment to do this in their fields. Couple hours would do it with the right equipment.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  8. greendoctor

St Augustine is one of the simplest to take care of. Zoysia is a pain to mow. Centipede is really picky about its soil. Bermuda needs to be mowed low often. If more lawns in my state were St Augustine, I would have a much easier job.

Blainethompson and weeze like this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

no way i'm dong that much. :laugh: i have a 1/4 acre yard minus the house so roughly a little less than 10k sq ft. like i said earlier a good part of my yard is already carpet grass so i'm gonna leave that and i want the st. augustine on the rest of the yard. they look almost exactly the same so you wouldn't be able to tell any difference. maybe over time they would blend in together and my whole yard would be both i dunno.

i'm just putting like 10 springs in the front yard. it will take a few years to grow in. i'm just hoping they don't die. they are turning brown already so it's probably not gonna work. i've watered them every day and it rained on them the first 2 days but they are still turning brown.

i'm not looking for a perfect yard overnight. that is too expensive. i'm just trying to get started on the right path. i want it to be perfect within a few years. if i can get it started it will eventually take over on it's own and one day i'll have a great yard. :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  10. greendoctor

How about implanting a few plugs here and there? Sprigs are fragile for the first month. I will not deal with sprigs in a lawn that does not have automatic irrigation.

weeze likes this.