Sta-Bil Preservative With 2-Cycle Oil ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Merkava_4, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you guys adding a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-Bil to your 2-cycle mix ?

I'm using the STIHL synthetic 2-cycle oil and for as much money as they charge for it, I think it should come with the fuel preservative already in it.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I run Amsoil Saber and it comes with it. For fuel that will sit longer than 30 days, I only use the stuff in cans with no ethanol like Tru Fuel, which doesn't need a stabilizer.

3. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I am probably going to get killed for saying this, but I see a lot of discussions about the stabilizer/preservative on this site. I have never used any of this stuff, ever, and my equipment seems to run fine for extended periods of time even after sitting for awhile. I keep everything in garage though. It gets hot and cold like you would expect, but not like outdoors.

JLSLLC likes this.
  4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Two stroke oils, most should contain the additives you mentioned. It's not a bad idea for peace of mind, fuel does stay fresh for longer than you think, I've had leftover mix in my tank And no issues starting after sitting the winter

Grassholes likes this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I used to use mix with stabilizer in it for winter time storage, and it gets cold here, but after I switched to ethanol free Tru Fuel, every single piece of 2 stroke equipment I have started, started starting much better come spring.....generally one to three pulls max, and it runs much better on first start up as well. I am not into snake oil stuff, but I am a firm believer in TF for storage now.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Grassholes and JLSLLC like this.
  6. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

Ridin' -

That was a great sentence ..."I have started started starting...." I had to read it several times this am to get it to flow in my pea sized brain the way it was intended :laugh:!

Wye Oak Tree likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Bet ya thought I had a stutter. LOL

I inserted the missing coma to make it a little easier. I just missed it in my first post.

8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I'm seeing the pre mix is becoming more popular in my area

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I only use it for winter storage. Otherwise, I use the Amsoil Saber that comes with stabilizer in it for regular use.

ShaneL. and JLSLLC like this.
  10. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using Echo Red Armor Oil for the last 3 years with excellent results. I mix it with Conoco 91 Octane (Non-Ethanol) and all of my 2 strokes run flawlessly. The Echo Oil comes with a stabilizer in it and it claims to stabilize for up to 2 years. Of course where I am my equipment runs year round so I don't let them sit idle for months at a time.

hort101 likes this.