STAFFING SHORTAGES! Due to high Unemployment benefits - 2021 season!!

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
amen brother.
This reminds me of a bid I gave to a wealthy couple not long ago. The wife had said, “ gee jeff, you seem very articulate for a man that doesTHIS kind of work”.

I replied, “ yes most people seem surprised when I tell them I was a lt col in the Air Force and have an MBA.”
They took the bid, but I got some red flags and passed on the opportunity, partly because of her snarky comment.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
gee jeff, you seem very articulate for a man that doesTHIS kind of work”.

I replied, “ yes most people seem surprised when I tell them I was a lt col in the Air Force and have an MBA.”
congratulations on your successes and being able to pass on people who’s Ish doesn’t stink. Firing customers who don’t deserve your business is a great feeling. Cheers.

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
This reminds me of a bid I gave to a wealthy couple not long ago. The wife had said, “ gee jeff, you seem very articulate for a man that doesTHIS kind of work”.

They took the bid, but I got some red flags and passed on the opportunity, partly because of her snarky comment.
How insulting. Good on you for keeping it professional with them.

tarheel01

LawnSite Member
I agree with all of you. I have one part time guy I am paying 14 a hour but I need way more than him. People offering 20-22 a hour I am not sure how they make it work unless I am way low in pricing. I cannot see my geographical location paying 60-65 a yard for a yard that is usually 45 so that I can pay my help more.

hedgehog_MI

LawnSite Silver Member
Today, we see the results of the last 30 years of schools indoctrinating America's youth that no manual job--regardless of pay or fulfillment one receives from it-- is a "real" job. The message we hear from the education sector and the media is, "Go to college, get a degree, or be cancelled by society". The last time I witnessed a kid cut the grass anywhere had to be 5-7 years ago, and he did not have a clue what to do. Face it, the overwhelming majority of Millenials and Gen-Z believe that if you perform any manual work for a living, it reflects that individual as a loser--financially, mentally, and socially--and needs to be avoided (i.e. cancelled) lest you be counted as one of them. For Millenials and Gen-Z, image is everything after all.
What an absolute load of malarkey.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
My prediction is that when September comes around they will further extend the unemployment benefits federally. My best guess is they'll extend it at least through the holidays. :cry:
I agree @Mark Stark, this is starting to become like the car dealer rebates, it’s people’s expectations.

I wrote about a month ago being contacted for management jobs from some old resume floating around. Bear in mind I retired from the Air Force in 2004, did the age 62 social security and have money from investements, our cattle ranch, and landscape stuff. That I’m 65 has not deterred any hr/recruiter from wanting to set up interviews. The overarching sentiment is no one is interested in working due to the benefits currently. I’m incredulous and somewhat in disbelief.