STAFFING SHORTAGES! Due to high Unemployment benefits - 2021 season!!

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
My benchmark has been 1/2" cdx plywood which is now $52.95 a sheet. Last year when prices were "Crazy high" I paid about a third of that.

OP
T

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
We had yearly trash pickup....
Speaking of such. I got the following Notice from our local weekly trash/recycle pickup service.
Temporary Delays in Yard Waste Collection
"Our company is experiencing temporary delays in Yard Waste collection.
The nation is experiencing a shortage of truck drivers across the country, and that has posed a staffing challenge for us in multiple markets. We have and will continue bringing in additional resources to help us, and we are continuing our efforts to hire drivers. Thank you for your patience during this temporary delay."

Mdirrigation

LawnSite Platinum Member
You should get used to it . As long as there is free money from this administration , you wont find any help . And when you do , they may quit as soon as they qualify for unemployment so they can ride the gravy train .

OP
T

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
Be all of the above as it may, employers typically have very broad discretion to manage their workforce and operations.
In most cases, an employer is free to require employees to work six days per week. As there is no regulation prohibiting employers from requiring employees from working 6 days in a week.
Exceptions to this would be Union/bargaining jobs, and certain occupations like power plant operators, Air Traffic controllers and such.
Outside of those exceptions, employers have very broad discretion to make work schedules to meet the demands of the operation.
Just have to pay OT for hours worked over 40.
Oh, and then there is this "Federal Motor Carrier, Safety Admin" requirement of Max hours allowed to work in a week for those companies that have USDOT Numbers on the sides of their trucks. :gmctruck::gmctruck::gmctruck::gmctruck::gmctruck::gmctruck:

hedgehog_MI

LawnSite Silver Member
You should get used to it . As long as there is free money from this administration , you wont find any help . And when you do , they may quit as soon as they qualify for unemployment so they can ride the gravy train .
That's not quite how it works.
Also, tsk-tsk. I got a speaking-to about injecting politics into a non-political thread way back in this thread. But if you're this upset about the current administration doling out free money to the unemployed, you must have been apoplectic when the former administration gave away those huge unemployment bonuses that dwarf this current Federal benefit?¿