Stainless Western Spreader-\"parts\"

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by UNCLE BOB, Mar 4, 2001.


    UNCLE BOB LawnSite Member
    Messages: 99

    Hey everyone, I just bought a stainless steel western spreader for $200.00 It needs a Deflector Plate around the spinner.That's it ,can you belive that?Controls and tailgate mount included.Where can I find the deflector plate?And how much is this spreader really worth? Did I get a good deal? Thanks for the help.
  2. syzer

    syzer LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,272

    No horrible deal, sell it to me =).
  3. 75

    75 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 992

    I think you got a good deal - almost wish I'd scooped it up! :D I think this might also be a good candidate for a urethane spinner! Unfortunately, I don't know the web site address for the manufacturer but I'm sure that can either supply them or point you in the right direction.

    I imagine the best bet for the plate itself might be

    BTW, what model did you get?

    [Edited by 75 on 03-05-2001 at 03:20 AM]
  4. SlimJim Z71

    SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 691

    A guy I work with has one (if it's the same model I'm thinking it is...), and I would DEFINATELY recommend a urethane spinner. His doesn't spread very evenly, and I've heard that the U-spinners are good for curing that. He also complains of his plugging up at the bottom, so if you can rig up and auger of some sort, it would be a good idea.

    I'm not bashing you here or anything, just trying to help you get the most out of it. For $200, ya can't beat it. You could try the following web-sites to find your deflector plate:

    Not sure whether or not they'll have it, but they may be able to tell you where to go if they don't. Congrats on the deal!

  5. Rooster

    Rooster LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 460

    Uncle Bob,

    Great DEAL!!!!

    Locally in Kansas City, I just priced a Western Stainless Spreader the new installed price was: $5,200.00.

    Congrats on the find.

  6. SlimJim Z71

    SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 691

    Wait a minute... is it a V-box or the small tailgate model?

  7. earth works inc.

    earth works inc. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 42

    uncle bob: if you have a western stainless tailgate spreader and not a v-box then i would make one out of some sheet metal and bolt it on.

    a couple years back someone hit one of ours and bent it all up. i ordered a new back deflector for it from western, wasnt too bad of a price $15-20 but all it was was a thin piece of sheet metal painted black. rusted by the next season.

    i use to order the stainless spinners from j thomas but i believe they donot carry them anymore. a poly like the ones on a v-box may be to heavy and the shaft diameter could be too large.
  8. Rooster

    Rooster LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 460

    The quote I mentioned was for a V-box. The local dealer here told me "Western does not make a Stainless Steel Tailgate Spreader".
  9. plowjockey

    plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 332

    Uncle Bob

    You did all right. I too got a 400lb stainless steel Western tailgate spreader and that is about what I gave for mine. From looking at mine I am sure that you can easily fashion a deflector of your own design to take care of the problem. Like Earthworks said it is nothing more than a light weight sheet metal bent plate.

  10. earth works inc.

    earth works inc. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 42

    hey bruce - glad we agree, now where is all the snow?

Share This Page