Stand On Mower Converted to Fertilizer Machine? Feedback Wanted

OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
It can be done. The biggest concern is Corrosion.

Had a 80 Lb Lesco hopper 12V on a 72 Toro Groundmaster deck in the Late 90's for a couple large and fairly flat accounts. Even using great care with cleanup where the belts were housed, rust was the #1 issue.

Stainless Steel is your friend in regards to fert applications.

Be Innovative!

The deck goes to the scrap yard when I buy the mower. The rest of the machine will require winter work to touch up rust every few years. One of my machines I use now got a full rebuild and paint this winter after 9 years. Not the end of the world.

Attachments

• fert machine.jpg
    fert machine.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
So you plan on T-jet Floodjet wide area nozzles or did you plan on a boom?
If you can include recirculating agitation and a coupe-three nozzles for agitation that would be a nice feature.
Naturally, there will be hand wand--right? Coiled hose?
I'm planning on using a T-jet nozzle turret system with at least three types of nozzles for a 10,12 and up to 16 ft for large properties with side shooting boom-less nozzles. All rear mounted. I will also incorporate 1 front spray ,narrow band, nozzle for large patches of crab fed from the crab tank and pump.

I would like at least 32 gallons of tanks over the rear wheels that would be primarily broadleaf and two 8's or 10's over the engine compartment for crab and nut. Main tank agitation with quick dump valves. Aux tanks will probably not have agitation as sloshing and gunning back into the tank is simple enough. I don't use wettable or dispersible products for crab and nut.

Hose reel is mandatory. The guns we use to hand spray are proprietary and I will probably file a patent as they are revolutionary. We've used them for a year and they are amazing.

OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Still hoping to get feedback from any operators that use both stand on mowers and commercial spreader/sprayers. Specifically, could a mower make a better traction unit then the existing traction units offered by S/S manufacturers?

Top Forums