Lawn Care Forum banner

Stand on mower Ferris vs Scag?

15K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  basso83 
#1 ·
so I'm in the market for a new 36" stander mower. I've narrowed down my preferences to scag and ferris... Is one better over the other? Or do you like a different brand? I have actually never used a stand on mower, i have a 36" scag ZCat ztr but it is pretty slow and hard keep sitting down and getting up. I know there are a lot of stand on mower questions here so I apologize if my question has already been answered.

#2 ·
I'm starting to lean towards getting a 36" stander. ive looked at Hustler, JD, Scag, bad boy, and exmark. I'm liking the Hustler and the JD so far. I don't like the deck design on the bad boy 36 or the scag 36. JD is a lot more expensive then the hustler.

#4 ·
No, I bag 100% of the time.

#7 ·
gotcha. I wasn't just looking at the decks. I was looking at motor options, drive train, the stance of the mower (length width), height control, etc. i'm not as picky on the deck like most because I don't mulch, I bag everything. and with the correct or modified blade system, most decks can be made to bag well.

#8 ·
I have recently tested the Scag vride, and the ferris Z1. Of the two I prefered the Z1 as it was better balanced and less prone to popping wheelies. The scag does have a weight kit, but my demo only had one bar installed. The Z1 has a sweet platform to stand on, but I thought it was a bit narrow for me. The Vride2 is cming out as we speak and I'll be looking at it on Thursday.

#9 ·
I think I am leaning towards the Ferris Z1/48. It has the hydro-gear transaxles; supposedly smoother to operate, with the 23hp vanguard engine(which I think is a better engine these days) and it is $6,800 vs $8,452.. at least that is around here. Also.. the gas shock and spring system seems like it would be a lot more comfortable and adjustable than just two springs like the scag. Also, I have heard it is better balanced and better on slopes, which is my main concern. I will have to probably get two walk behinds. A 36” for small gate backyards and then a 48/52 for steep front yards or just to help with the stander on large accounts. But some yards around here could be really small.. but very steep front yard. I have seen a video of the Ferris Z2 go up and down and back up a very steep, and it looked damp , hill..steep. It’s ok you tube. The z2 has that 28hp engine and it’s onlu 8k around here also..still cheaper than the v-ride 2/48”

#11 ·
I keep hearing that from a number of people. I like how the deck is stabilized with the rods instead of just the chains( I know it has a pivot bar in the back of the velocity deck). I also hear that the transaxles on the Ferris is smoother than the pump and motor system on the SCAG. I think they go about the same speed, but don’t quote me on that. Also.. I kind of like that the mower, engine...everything is owned by Briggs and Stratton. It use to be that the Vanguard motors were not that great, I had one die on a Turf tracer i had :( .) but I keep hearing that the 23hp motor that you can get on the Z1 is a really great motor. Also.. the Ferris blades are Marbain steel also, just a wee bit (few thousandths) thicker and cheaper. The same size mower, with what I think in my opinion are better features (but no Tiger eye system) for cheaper. Like, $1,500 cheaper. But... the Ferris doesn’t have the velocity deck that can really move thru thick wet grass, and still look good.
My big question is..can you put that oil guard system on other motors that the ones they offer stock like that ? Like.. Can I put that oil guard system on my Z1 motor ??

#13 ·
With the way the grass is down here (South Georgia) this St. Augustine grass grass grows so thick and it’s so humid here, there is always dew on the grass... which is having me lean towards the SCAG with the velocity deck. There is a reason 80% of private lawn care guys( not a big company ) all use SCAG’s around here. Lots of turf tigers.
I’m just worried about the v-ride on slopes

#14 ·
With the way the grass is down here (South Georgia) this St. Augustine grass grass grows so thick and it's so humid here, there is always dew on the grass... which is having me lean towards the SCAG with the velocity deck. There is a reason 80% of private lawn care guys( not a big company ) all use SCAG's around here. Lots of turf tigers.
I'm just worried about the v-ride on slopes
Suggest reading up on the ferris ICD DECK on here seems to be a contender based on reviews
Fast forward to 4minutes

#17 ·
Everyone I know with a v-ride 1 loves it. So it would think the v-ride2 would be great, if not better. It's seeming to make more sense to get the SCAG and as soon as I can get a 36" walk behind.. so that .. and funny enough. I DO want to get a Ferris 36" walk behind. Huge back tires and you can get a big motor, and those new controls are kinda like the ECS controls.. be great to put a prodlide plate one.. good for backyards and slopes the v-ride can't do.

#21 ·
Maybe look into putting a rack on the back (may be welding involved) to put a two container vac/bagger system on it..?
It does seem like the side weighted mower, on suspension, would produce a wedge..
Seems that a Walker would be a better option for a high percentage of your cutting being bagged, using a small deck mower. Sorry, I may have taken the original posters question off topic.

#22 ·
No.. it’s cool. I’m looking at the same problem.. what to do with the fall clean up. The only manufacturer that I know that offers a bagger system on a stander is Wright manufacturing, and then there is a company that offers bolt on kits for the Toro grandstand. Forgot the name, and then there is another company that offers an aluminum, wedge shaped enclosure, mesh back, and I think it uses a backpack blower for the debris blowing assistance. Videos on you tube that show them. Prob can go from there if they have links n stuff like that.
I’d love to get one of those Toro 360 groundsmaster mowers. 4wd, all hydraulic, and it has a sweet bagger/lift dumper option. I bet the whole package is over 20k, but man is it sweet!

#23 ·
I don't run stand ons as small as 36" - 48" so I can't really speak about that. But in the larger frame Z2's, I felt Ferris were far superior to the Scag V2.

But...

1. Dealer support is huge. If your local Ferris dealer is really kind of a joke, then you definitely need to put a lot of consideration into that. You might even say, that's a deal breaker.
2. Scag is an excellent company and you are absolutely correct that the Velocity Plus is probably the best all around deck in the industry - but again, I'm talking about larger deck sizes. For all I know, the smaller Scag decks may cut like crap. I own a bunch of Scag mowers and they are excellent machines. I just happen to prefer the Ferris Z2 over the Scag V2 when we're talking stand on mowers. Honestly, I was very disappointed in the V-ride 1 and the V-ride 2. I think Scag has A LOT of work to do to get those products up to par. Having said that, they are still a solid built machine that has a great reputation for quality of cut and being built like a tank.
3. It sounds to me that you are a smaller contractor, perhaps a solo guy. If that's the case, you may want to go the Scag route because of dealer support and re-sale value should you need to move this mower later on down the road. I don't think you can go wrong with a Scag. Considering all things, I think you may be better off going Scag.

Just my two cents.

#26 ·
I don't run stand ons as small as 36" - 48" so I can't really speak about that. But in the larger frame Z2's, I felt Ferris were far superior to the Scag V2.

But...

1. Dealer support is huge. If your local Ferris dealer is really kind of a joke, then you definitely need to put a lot of consideration into that. You might even say, that's a deal breaker.
2. Scag is an excellent company and you are absolutely correct that the Velocity Plus is probably the best all around deck in the industry - but again, I'm talking about larger deck sizes. For all I know, the smaller Scag decks may cut like crap. I own a bunch of Scag mowers and they are excellent machines. I just happen to prefer the Ferris Z2 over the Scag V2 when we're talking stand on mowers. Honestly, I was very disappointed in the V-ride 1 and the V-ride 2. I think Scag has A LOT of work to do to get those products up to par. Having said that, they are still a solid built machine that has a great reputation for quality of cut and being built like a tank.
3. It sounds to me that you are a smaller contractor, perhaps a solo guy. If that's the case, you may want to go the Scag route because of dealer support and re-sale value should you need to move this mower later on down the road. I don't think you can go wrong with a Scag. Considering all things, I think you may be better off going Scag.

Just my two cents.
Do you think I would be better off with the Ferris? I got some hills that I'm concerned about, and I saw that video in you tube with that guy on a Ferris Z2, and went straight up a steep hill, with what looks like a lot of dew on the ground. I am concerned about hills and all that..... and I'm not thrilled about the pump and motor system, but already thinking of ways to maybe add an oil cooler/fan, that I could plumb into the system and wiring.. but.. idk.
I AM planning on getting one of those 3 LED kits off eBay, with a big light bar mounted yo front between the castles, and then the two smaller lights up high illuminating the peripheral areas. I got the nylon braided loom stuff(all different sizes) and alllll kinda of nice 3m heat shrink.. so.. I will be done nice and up to factory standards.
I'm mostly buying the velocity deck, and a way to power it and carry me. The grass here is so thick, half of it is weeds and who knows what.. but if it rains at all in the summer.. the grass grows like crazy.. and thick as all get out. St. Augustine on roids. So.. I need that deck. I also need something good on hills and yeah... can we not have chains holding the deck ??? On a $7.800 mower... and two springs for the platform you stand on.. the shock , lever setup on the Ferris is way better design and I don't see that breaking. Plus.. you could prob put all kinds of shocks n stuff in there if you wanted.. with the SCAG, I feel like I got to seriously fabricate some sort of suspension set up that compresses two shock/coil over set ups.. than stretching two metal springs till they break. I don't get it.

#24 ·
Yeah... that’s kinda my overall opinion... I could step up and get that z2 with the 28hp vanguard on it.. or even the z1,48, with the 23hp vanguard.. which I think might be the better motor at this current point. But. The local dealer is this really old guy that has been dealing ford tractors, for a long time. It hasn’t really been updated.. etc. I called to ask a price, and he seemed confused, like he never sold one. So I called the next closest dealer, which is about 40 miles away up a county road.... so you got that too. They knew what was up.. but still.. can’t take that chance just starting out. Yes, I’m a solo guy. I’ve been in this industry since I was young, 38 now. Worked all over golf courses, other landscaping guys, etc. run a lot of SCAG’s, John Deere, and Toros. Maybe when I get going and I need another stander mower..I’ll step up and get the z2, with the bigger motor and the oil guard system, a shock for the foot plate. And a lot of other features. The SCAG Guy is close, and just about everybody runs a SCAG around here.. go to Columbus, GA and everyone runs a walker.. everyone.. so...yeah.. grass and terrain. I have such small, steep, undulating, ditches, trees, etc.. the 48 is the best option for me, and to reduce scalping and all that.. I got two Honda hrx217hxa’s, but I’m gonna need a hydro 36 at some point... and I’m really looking at Ferris for that too.

#25 ·
Dathorpe... how do you feel the Ferris is far superior that the V-ride2? I do know the way the deck is supported looks way better. They are using the vanguard motors, WITH that oil guard system (which just looks like a reservoir that has heat sinks on it..) and they are running transaxles, which I think is better. But, what else are things that make it better? Also... how does that ICD deck perform?? Someone did a comparison of the Z2 and the V-ride 2... and they said the Ferris was a better machine also. I wish my local dealer wasn’t 74 years old and basically is still holding on selling for tractors.. it’s not really a current, with the trends, tractor dealer.. and the other dealer is way up a small county road 40 Miles... I plan on doing a lot of the work my self on the machine, but still.. it’s gonna be good having the SCAG dealer close. No loaner machine like the gravely dealer.. but that’s a while other argument

#27 ·
jI think I am going to go with a Ferris Z2, 52"/28 HP EFI Vanguard (which I think is the best motor njow..that being vanguard) with the Oil Guard system. I think mechanically and on an engineering stand poijnt.. I think the ferris better... It's gonna handle hills better and I'll be able to get 6 more, electrically fuel injected, Horse Power AND a larger cutting deck ALONG WITH the suspension on the stander platform(which the preload can be very easily adjusted by different holes /leverage. Transaxles are very low, no reservoir up high, and they @have a sweet PTO feature when you step off... And.... They are cheaper... More for less. Also the ICD deck supposedly cuts pretty good... So.. I'm gonna start out with that.... And hopefully get a ferris 36" hydro walk behind as soon as I can afford it and justify it on my accounts.. But.. Walking behind that Honda is gonna get old.er.. Really quick . But yeah.. Gonna go with the Z2/28hp EFI, which will save me money every 2 hours I use it.. Saves about $500/600 hours.. So.. That's pretty substantial savings over the lifetime you own that mower.. And I'll never bog down on tall grass or any of that with 28 EFI horse power on that 52" deck. Also... That inside wheel freewheels when you just pull the other pump lever, thus not tearing up the grass like the pump and motor systems , where that inside wheel hydro freezes and could tear the grass during its "skid steer turning" action.. . Another plus for the Ferris machine.

#30 ·
What about Bobcat? There is that used one on here for $4400. And new they seem to have a low price, but give a 6 warranty with the purchase.

#31 ·
Ive ran almost every Mower there is On all our Lawn maint Crews we use Xmark Navigators and Scag Vrides I like them alot and wouldnt use any other Mowers with 100 accounts Plus no other way to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.