Stand-On Mower Recommendations?

Jimmy Hernandez

LawnSite Member
Looking to buy a 32 or 36 stand-on and wanted to get some opinions.

We cut about 30 yards a week, and need something that can fit through most gates since our 48" ZTR is too large.

Any recommendations? Much info as possible would be great. Thanks!

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Do some research on the site using the search function. She love the small frame standers buttoners hate them. Cons are narrow tires and poor hill side stability. If you cut mostly flat areas that might not be an issue for you. Look for a brand that has the widest tires.

In the end, though, purchase, what is available at what you consider a great dealer.

OP
J

Jimmy Hernandez

LawnSite Member
Do some research on the site using the search function. She love the small frame standers buttoners hate them. Cons are narrow tires and poor hill side stability. If you cut mostly flat areas that might not be an issue for you. Look for a brand that has the widest tires.

In the end, though, purchase, what is available at what you consider a great dealer.
I did research. Went through about 25 pages of the forums, and found nothing that directly helped with my question. Do you have any specific advice from experience from using 32/36" stander? If so, please let me know your experience. Thank you.

Jmcculler

LawnSite Senior Member
I owned a 36" Ferris Z1 for getting through gates in a subdivision where I had 65 yards. Traded for a 48" badboy revolt when I got rid of that contract. The 36" was just not productive enough on anything but those yards where it was all that would fit. How many of those yards can you not get in with a 48 and would it justify a $7k standon vs a walk behind at half the cost? They do make 36" sit down zturns btw, cheaper and would probably maneuver better on hills. That's where the 36" stander struggled. Real narrow wheel base and the engine was a weight pulling the front down hill, struggled to turn up hill and have had to pull the front around many times and drive straight up a hill, not fun when there is a lake at the bottom. Even with this new revolt I put 1.5 inch wheel spacers on the rear to kick the tires out further and help on hillsides, just a downfall with standers.

OP
J

Jimmy Hernandez

LawnSite Member
I owned a 36" Ferris Z1 for getting through gates in a subdivision where I had 65 yards. Traded for a 48" badboy revolt when I got rid of that contract. The 36" was just not productive enough on anything but those yards where it was all that would fit. How many of those yards can you not get in with a 48 and would it justify a $7k standon vs a walk behind at half the cost? They do make 36" sit down zturns btw, cheaper and would probably maneuver better on hills. That's where the 36" stander struggled. Real narrow wheel base and the engine was a weight pulling the front down hill, struggled to turn up hill and have had to pull the front around many times and drive straight up a hill, not fun when there is a lake at the bottom. Even with this new revolt I put 1.5 inch wheel spacers on the rear to kick the tires out further and help on hillsides, just a downfall with standers.
The 48" only goes through maybe 6 of the back yard gates we need to get through out of 45 total yards we service. We were running a 32 WB but it recently gave out, and are having to make due with a 21" for now. Fortunately where we work everything is pretty flat, so we don't ever really have to worry about how the machine runs on hills. The main reason we were considering a stand on vs a traditional ZTR was size for the trailer. Definitely will think about maybe another walk behind though, considering the price, as you mentioned.

OP
J

Jimmy Hernandez

LawnSite Member
32 and 36 will be the same thing, the question is, do you require a 32 to get into your gates? I do, so i bought a 32.
32 would get in everywhere, 36 would only not go through 5/6 gates out of all the yards we service. Was leaning towards the 36 for better productivity. What 32 are you running and what's your experience been like with it?

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
It depends..
I assume productivity is the goal. So how many properties would you actually be able to use the 32" on that the 36" would be too wide? If it's only a couple, you're probably better off just replacing those yards with ones that suit the 36". It's easy to get into the thinking that you need "x" equipment because it would be perfect on this new property you just picked up. But while the 32" might be great for 5 of those yards, you may be losing productivity on the other 20 yards that the 36" would be more optimal on. Dont be afraid to knock back yards if they aren't optimal for your setup.

You also need to factor in if any of these properties are hilly. because the 32" isnt going to hold hills nearly as well as the 36" will. Also, the 32" is going to rut wet lawns more then the 36" as well.

Another advantage is most people combo a 52" and a 36" because they use the same blade. However i'm pretty sure the 48" and the 32" share the same blades. So that might be a win for you in that regard. Just weigh up your pros and cons and see what works best for you.

Last edited: