1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Standard practice on "terms"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JeffW0011, Apr 11, 2007.

1. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

I just got done bidding a huge job (by my standards, first year) It breaks down basically like this. It's a fairly major spring cleaning, a sizable mulching job...i estimated 25 yards and probably should have went a few more, some odds and ends minor repairs, and a one time catch up cut on a big ass property. At any rate, I probably over bid and won't get the job anyway, but if i do, what do you guys do on deals like this. The job is roughly $750 in parts/materials/contract services and some other variable costs. The labor end has me making about $1300. First off, as a ball park how does my costs versus profit ratio look?? Most important...should I ask for 50% upfront, should I get at least the job costs upfront or should I foot the bill and present it all upon completion.

Thanks for your help,
    Jeff

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

For myself I have them sign the contract and get paid at the end of the job.I never ask for money upfront.

3. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

The cost of the mulch she wanted was just under $20/yd delivered. In my proposal I charged her $50/per yard applied. Was this about right? high? low?
    I know costs may vary a bit from region to region but what do you think?

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

My cost is 19.00per yd and I'll charge any where from 65-80 installed just depends where it has to go .If it's in the back yard a little more or if i have to monkey around under bushes stuff like that.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I always get 50% upfront for any job requiring materials. Especially if you have to shell out $750. To NOT get any money in advance is foolish. Most of the time everything's fine but every once in awhile...well you don't want to have to eat it :cry:

6. D&M Lawn Service

D&M Lawn Service LawnSite Member

in my first year.... I am getting $80 a yard installed and have had a ton of mulch jobs. Like has already been said I charge a little more if its tough to install and will take longer to put down.