Stander B vs Grandstand

4SgrenHort

LawnSite Member
Deciding between buying a new Wright Stander B 48” or a used Toro Grandstand 54”. I will not be using the mower commercially for at least 2 years. Both are in my price range where I could probably get the used Grandstand for half the price new Wright Stander B ($5,500) with who knows how many hours, probably in the 2000hr range (going to look later this week).

The things I like about the Toro are:
Nearby dealer
Standing pad flips up
*Engine doesn’t shut down when letting go of the controls and automatically shuts down PTO (does the Stander B do this?)

Things I like about the Wright:
New with warranty

Main question is anyone that has Wright Standers, can you just hop off them without shutting off the PTO and engaging the parking brake? I really like that feature on the Toro.

I drove around a 2014 Exmark Vantage X series with the ECS controls and could not get the hang of it. Didn’t care for it much. It had 3000 hours on it but I could probably get it for fairly cheap.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
My thought would be to go used for now. Save the cash for other things. Get a new unit when you have the accounts to require something better.

Nothing wrong with older units with 2 caveats: they need to have been maintained and there will be more repairs than new. In your case this shouldn't be a major issue since you won't use it commercially for a while.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Deciding between buying a new Wright Stander B 48” or a used Toro Grandstand 54”. I will not be using the mower commercially for at least 2 years. Both are in my price range where I could probably get the used Grandstand for half the price new Wright Stander B ($5,500) with who knows how many hours, probably in the 2000hr range (going to look later this week).

The things I like about the Toro are:
Nearby dealer
Standing pad flips up
*Engine doesn’t shut down when letting go of the controls and automatically shuts down PTO (does the Stander B do this?)

Things I like about the Wright:
New with warranty

Main question is anyone that has Wright Standers, can you just hop off them without shutting off the PTO and engaging the parking brake? I really like that feature on the Toro.

I drove around a 2014 Exmark Vantage X series with the ECS controls and could not get the hang of it. Didn’t care for it much. It had 3000 hours on it but I could probably get it for fairly cheap.
Really
You didn’t like the vantage with the ecs?

I guess that’s why they don’t make them anymore
I thought that was one of the better ones out there
Then they came out with the monstrosity they have now :puke:

I wouldn’t buy a machine with 2000 or 3000 hours on it
It’s past it’s half life.
That’s like adopting an 11 year old lab
Could die tomorrow
Could live 4 more years and cost you 4,000 bucks at the vet
Neither option is worth the heart ache when you missed out in the best part of the life span.
Why take on that drama now?

Top Forums