Stander... ferris or scag help

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a steep inclined retainage ditch we will be maintaining. I have elected to purchase a new machine this season. I need something around a 52" that will hold a hill the best.. im looking at standers. Never owned one... but think I'd like it for mowing our islands we do on shopping centers etc...
Looking at the scag v ride with the big block 37 he vanguard and the ferris z3 with same motor... scage has rebate going on right now that makes it about $1500 cheaper than the ferris... the ferris is roughly 2" wider because of bigger back tires.... that being said..
Which mower and why? Assuming dealer support is comparable.. go

iumichael

LawnSite Member
Why not the Z2 vs Z3? You may be able to find a good deal on a leftover.

I'm debating on one of these two right now myself. I've demo'd both. Currently have a 36" Z1 that I've had a couple of years and it's been good for what it is. Demo'ing the Z2 was a huge jump in terms of stability on hills and power of course. I know the Z3X is the ultimate Ferris mower, but after doing a few yards with it, I'm having trouble justifying the extra cost. But, I don't want to regret cheaping out if the Z3X really is as good as what I've heard. Anyone who has experience/input on these two choices would be greatly appreciated!

Edit to add: I'm looking for a 52" deck

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
I have the Z2... I love it. I found a stellar deal on a demo and I could not justify the added expense of a new Z2 or even a Z3.

iumichael

LawnSite Member
I have the Z2... I love it. I found a stellar deal on a demo and I could not justify the added expense of a new Z2 or even a Z3.

Truthfully I think that's the way I'm leaning. Even though I'm small potatoes (20-25 yards, part-timer in evenings and on weekends), apparently I can qualify for a fleet rebate which makes the 52" Z2 $7,999+tax if I pay cash, or a little bit more to finance. I see a lot of Z3's with other companies around here though, so it makes me question it a bit before pulling the trigger. Don't want to be missing out on anything important. Seems the Z3X is quite a bit heavier (+250 lbs), so that's kind of a turn off for me.

Groomer

LawnSite Gold Member
added this 48" Z1 a few seasons back, has 1100 hrs. currently, with no complaints.
DSCF4820 (2).JPG

funny you mentioned scag- part of my secret weapon are the hi-lift scag blades I'm using, way better cut quality over the ferris blades. (they have to be trimmed 1/8 inch on each end, but no biggie.) just pulled these for sharpening.
DSCF4822 (2).JPG

iumichael

LawnSite Member
funny you mentioned scag- part of my secret weapon are the hi-lift scag blades I'm using, way better cut quality over the ferris blades. (they have to be trimmed 1/8 inch on each end, but no biggie.) just pulled these for sharpening.
Do you just grind that 1/8" off or how do you trim them down? I've seen a few people mention using Scag blades is a big improvement on a Ferris so I'm eager to try it. Don't own a grinder though but maybe it's time to get one.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you just grind that 1/8" off or how do you trim them down? I've seen a few people mention using Scag blades is a big improvement on a Ferris so I'm eager to try it. Don't own a grinder though but maybe it's time to get one.
Yes an angle grinder would make short work of trimming them down. Angle grinder also workd well for blade sharpening. A standard 4.5 inch grinder can be had for pretty cheap.

Groomer

LawnSite Gold Member
don't recommend a grinder- I have them done at a local machine shop. they do a nice, clean cut, and when he's finished, you really can't tell they were touched, and the balance is right on.

I'm not a crazy, balance them to perfection kinda guy, but I like to check them periodically.

Top Forums