Stander.....Scag? Ferris?

Grass Bass

LawnSite Member
I prefer the stander platform hanging off the back because you can lean all your weight back and literally mow swamps lol. The cockpit type platform of the wright, deere, and ferris wouldn't allow that. The Gravely and Scag are better options for mowing in wet conditions. I also like that you have more foot room on them vs the tight area on the competitors. Its all just preference.

Ferris does have great engine options on all their mowers. You can get a 52 stander with a 25.5 KAWI which literally could not perform poorly lol. ICD decks seem pretty good and stripe well but I know for a fact they throw a hell of lot more clumps than the Velocity. Yes I have ran both for reference.

CLT Bluesman

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm really thinking about the Ferris. A dealer in my area has the 52 inch Z2 for 7K. I'm seriously considering it. I did not demo it but it felt real comfortable

ShaneL.

LawnSite Member
I'm really thinking about the Ferris. A dealer in my area has the 52 inch Z2 for 7K. I'm seriously considering it. I did not demo it but it felt real comfortable
I demoed one for a weekend a few months back and loved it. I brought it to work (my full time job) sharpened blades which were in bad shape and checked air pressure and pitched the deck. Machine was awesome and threw down a very nice cut

Highland79

LawnSite Member
You guys have peaked my interest on the z2. I Demo'd a V-ride and with my frame I couldn't get the hang of it. Literally threw me off in a parking lot twice. I'm 6' 230 and with nothing to hold on to above my belt it wasn't a good fit. Bought a stander X and love it, but saw a z2 the other day and it does look like the controls are closer to Wrights, comfy lookin machine. Might give my local dealer a look sometime. Closest Wright dealer is an hour away, Ferris is 20 mins.

I will say with the X, if I tuck my feet in when on it and hit a bump it cracks me right across the shins hard. I wish they had moved the hydros further forward, the housing is in a bad spot.

Last edited:

Cuttin fast

LawnSite Member
Well in my situation I have a gravely prostance
I bought the ferris z2 yesterday
The biggest difference to me is that the prostance feels like your standing on a 3' long board and your feets hanging out and your reaching forward for the controls
It's like the machine is a globe and your hands is the axis point
The ferris feels like your the axis point and the machine is turning around you
It feels like your more centered in the mower
At first the z2 controls felt odd because there smaller but after 30 min I began to notice how much feeling and finesse the controls have
The gravely seems stronger like a tank the front casters and deck are thicker
And the fx 691 is powerful
But the z2s 28 efi is a real monster
This engine is crazy
I have a brand new 60" super z hd 37efi and the z2 seems more powerful
I realize the super z is capable of cutting twice as much grass but for the size of cut and the speed of the mowers the ferris seems more powerful
Anyway just my thoughts

Top Forums