Stander vs. Walk-Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clayslandscape, Dec 21, 2011.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at buying a new mower. I currrently have a 48" Toro Zmaster 2011. I would like something that is lighter for those yards that retain moisture more to reduce compaction and rutting.

I really like the way aa Grandstand Toro looks but can I get the same thing in a walk behind for much cheaper?

What is the weight difference in the two?

2. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

What every it is, add 200 lbs for you!

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The weight difference is typically a few hundred pounds but you also have to remember that you will be riding on the stander and adding your own weight to the machine.

Prices can be all over the board depending on the area. Some areas, have awesome pricing on standers and others don't. When I bought my stander, it was just a few hundred more than a comparable walk behind, I think I spent around $6300+tax.

When I bought my stander, I wanted something that could be relatively productive on larger properties should be full size ztr break down. So mine serves dual duty as both a back up machine and a machine for smaller properties.

I bought John Deere, so you will have to take that into account but when/if you buy the grandstand you may find that the prices aren't that much more than walk behinds.

I do know that the smaller deck standers have narrower drive tires which can cause more rutting issues. So if you do want to go with a small deck (ie, 36" deck) I would go with a walk behind. But if you want to get a 48" or larger deck, I would have no problems going with a stander.

4. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

I've tried out both Toro and Exmark version of stander (basically same machine with different stickers). Currently we use Toro walkbehind and I love it, but when we have to replace I'll spend the extra thousand or so and get a stander. The weight difference isn't enough in my opinion to worry about and the stander is so much more versatile.

The only thing I didn't like was they are a bit heavy to man-handle when you get stuck somewhere in a ditch like the belt drives.

Definitely try it out side by side with a walk behind and compare the 2 before you spend your hard earned money.

Oh, and make your dealers work for your business. I've found the ones that will stand by you when you need something usually show it before the sale.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

These stander cost too darm much new and tooo costly when repaired. I got a lower seal out on a Wright stander and it will probably end up
    costing $300 to get that darn engine off and back on. Simple job on a WB cost 3 times as much on stander.

6. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I have a Wright Stander 36 and I will be moving to walk behind by next spring. I don't know about the Grandstand, but I think the standers are too heavy to be used as a smaller mower.

7. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

On an exmark 52 vantage and a tt 52 wb the weight difference is about 150lbs with out your weight. The vantage is heavier. Hope that comparison helps
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, walk behinds are better if you are worried about soggy yards. In my experience, they are easier to turn wide on a slope and just all in all, easier to maneuver. Riders and standers all have their place... But for an all around mower, get a walk behind, put a velke on it, and you'll be happy.

9. ralph02813

That makes the weight of the stander 350lbs more than the walk behind, my 36 ferris wb only weights 350lbs.

10. ralph02813

oops forgot to add the 200lbs is for you!