Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts
Decisions decisions, Lordy I'm truly undecided what to buy now. I can get a new 48 vantage with the 24kaw, the 52" vantage, or the 48 or 52 lazer z. I'm buying tomorrow and killing my brain with this one!
if you don't have alot of open lawns, stander would be your best bet. i would go with the 52'' vantage, it seems to get everywhere a 48'' can get.

One other thing, how do you load and unload your vantage. I have a 16ft tandem with 4ft gate and it was very awkward /unstable to go off backwards for me. I had to flip stand up, turn it around and drive off forward. Seems like its not good idea to go backwards down the gate.

Can someone please give me honest answer on which is harder on the spine overall, standing or sitting?
sitting is worse than standing, i have a bad back from laying brick for 20 years and i have mowed full days with just my dixie and then with my grandstand, and you WILL feel a difference. but i do prefer to sit on my big yards

One other thing, how do you load and unload your vantage. I have a 16ft tandem with 4ft gate and it was very awkward /unstable to go off backwards for me. I had to flip stand up, turn it around and drive off forward. Seems like its not good idea to go backwards down the gate.
i always flip the platform up and walk it on and off, almost flipped it the first day, driving it up the ramp at close to full speed. and taking it off i just walk backward right off. the first few times was alittle weird but now i do it with out thinking

Can someone please give me honest answer on which is harder on the spine overall, standing or sitting?
Sitting is far worse. Your knees are shock absorbers for your body.
Posted via Mobile Device

The human body isn't made to sit. Can't you tell how the more people sit the fatter they are... Seriously though, standing is far better for your body but it will make you feel more tired because you're actually using more energy to stand.

The human body isn't made to sit. Can't you tell how the more people sit the fatter they are... Seriously though, standing is far better for your body but it will make you feel more tired because you're actually using more energy to stand.
But you will be thankful you are not suffering back pain at the end of a long day.
Posted via Mobile Device

MT get the 52" lazer, you won't regret it. A 52" lazer will go anywhere a 52" vantage will go. They are both just as wide. Sure the lazer is longer, but that shouldn't matter at all unless you are mowing postage stamp yards. I find it easier on the body to sit, than stand all day. And I'm young and fit too. The vantage sucks on hills and doesn't do well with ditches like a lazer will. The lazer is far easier to get on the trailer and off. The lazer is way faster to raise the deck height, which you need to do alot of mowing around hills and ditches. Plus the standers are too expensive for what they are. You may or may not regret buying a vantage, but I know you won't regret the lazer. If you want the lazer too be smoother get the air front tires instead of no flats and get a grammer seat. The grammer seats are very expensive, but their is bother better. I'm standing by my statements that the lazer is superior, I don't care what anyone on thi thread says. What do all the lco in your area use ztrs, not standers. It's that way, because ztrs are better. This thread just happened to draw out all the stander lovers because of the title
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #91 ·
this thread really took off but i haven't fully decided which i like more since i have only used lazers but i plan on demoing a stand on when i decided to buy another mower. feel free to continue to post your opinions on the mowers as it's always more helpful for everyone reading. thanks

Sorry about the spelling(iPhone). Also lazer is faster 10-12 mph depending on which one you get. Most of the people telling you to get a stander don't own and use both like I do. The vantage is really just a back up mower because I don't like it. Sure you can mow some hills with the vantage, but a lazer is better. And a walkbehind even better
Posted via Mobile Device

MT get the 52" lazer, you won't regret it. A 52" lazer will go anywhere a 52" vantage will go. They are both just as wide. Sure the lazer is longer, but that shouldn't matter at all unless you are mowing postage stamp yards. I find it easier on the body to sit, than stand all day. And I'm young and fit too. The vantage sucks on hills and doesn't do well with ditches like a lazer will. The lazer is far easier to get on the trailer and off. The lazer is way faster to raise the deck height, which you need to do alot of mowing around hills and ditches. Plus the standers are too expensive for what they are. You may or may not regret buying a vantage, but I know you won't regret the lazer. If you want the lazer too be smoother get the air front tires instead of no flats and get a grammer seat. The grammer seats are very expensive, but their is bother better. I'm standing by my statements that the lazer is superior, I don't care what anyone on thi thread says. What do all the lco in your area use ztrs, not standers. It's that way, because ztrs are better. This thread just happened to draw out all the stander lovers because of the title
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for that input. I just talked to a buddy who runs a 52" Z and he has a bad of a back as I do. He said I'd be crazy to go stander over Z. However, he said he wishes he had a 48 for some gates here and there. I don't have any postage stamp sized jobs, mostly corner lots and up to 4 acres for one. It's going to come down to the deal I get in the morning, but I think I'm leaning 48 Z.

Edit: I also have some wicked rough areas with choppy hillsides, ditches and stuff. This turns me to the Z for the deck adjust on the fly with the foot.

Sorry about the spelling(iPhone). Also lazer is faster 10-12 mph depending on which one you get. Most of the people telling you to get a stander don't own and use both like I do. The vantage is really just a back up mower because I don't like it. Sure you can mow some hills with the vantage, but a lazer is better. And a walkbehind even better
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I got very frustrated with the vantage while demoing and got my 36 Viking off the trailer and went to town. I can work the Viking like an ape on a banana tree, steep hills and all.

Since I can only buy one, I will go Z with my Viking as my backup. This way I have best of both worlds.

I also had a Viking 48". It would mow any hill. Probably better than a 36" because it's a lot wider. A 36" would be great for gated yards though. Wish I had a 36. If you have a bad back check out ferris if you have a dealer. Amazing smooth ride, and the icd deck cuts like a scag deck
Posted via Mobile Device

I also had a Viking 48". It would mow any hill. Probably better than a 36" because it's a lot wider. A 36" would be great for gated yards though. Wish I had a 36. If you have a bad back check out ferris if you have a dealer. Amazing smooth ride, and the icd deck cuts like a scag deck
Posted via Mobile Device
No ferris here but there is Grasshopper and I've thought about buying a 223 52" for roughly 1,000 less than Exmark. Grasshopper has an in frame suspension system and has identical specs as the z except it's maybe 1 mph slower.

I'm going to take a risk here and hopefully not get my head bit off but be careful with buying a grasshopper. I ran one for 4 yrs from 99-03 and we had problems with mounts and bearing going bad quicker than what they should have in my opinion. Make sure you get info on warrantees. Just an opinion based on 4 yrs experience in early 2000s so don't take it as all -knowing about the way they are now in 2012

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.