• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Standers- any negatives?

fiveoboy01

LawnSite Silver Member
Lower ground speed in some cases.

If you're spending a LOT of hours on it at once, you will probably get fatigued/sore more quickly on the stander.

Lawn Pawn

LawnSite Senior Member
No negatives to a GOOD stander when you match it to the job.......

Do your homework shopping for the best brand/machine for YOU.
Will outwork even the best walk behind many times over. Large wide open accounts, yes I do enjoy sitting... so I have a sit down Z as well.

Not saying the walk behind does not have it's place, but for straight out production there is no comparison for the accounts I service that require a small footprint.

I guess maybe a negative WOULD be if your competition starts using them! Around here they can hardly give them away. Has me baffled!!!

Last edited:

Lawn Pawn

LawnSite Senior Member
when you say the brand that works for you, what do you mean?
I was referring to the manufacturer.....

I have what I think is THE best for my purpose, not all the same manufaturer. Just looking at the construction/geometry of some brands and I cannot understand how complicated, hard to service and unintuitive they appear.

Yes dealer support is important. One brand I have is over 100 mile round trip to dealer.... other brand is 200 miles.... other is only 2 miles. Lucky I can do my own service work. One dealer will send me the under warranty parts N/C .... allow me to do the work.... and return bad parts..... and I'm fine with that!!!

But everyone likes something different, and that is good. My money is spent on what I think is best for me.

But getting back to original question.... I think a good stander is worth it's weight in gold.

Last edited:
OP
S

SchnabelLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I was referring to the manufacturer.....

I have what I think is THE best for my purpose, not all the same manufaturer. Just looking at the construction/geometry of some brands and I cannot understand how complicated, hard to service and unintuitive they appear.

Yes dealer support is important. One brand I have is over 100 mile round trip to dealer.... other brand is 200 miles.... other is only 2 miles. Lucky I can do my own service work. One dealer will send me the under warranty parts N/C .... allow me to do the work.... and return bad parts..... and I'm fine with that!!!

But everyone likes something different, and that is good. My money is spent on what I think is best for me.

But getting back to original question.... I think a good stander is worth it's weight in gold.
In your opinion, what is the best stander?

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Are there any negatives to standers compared to standard ZTR's or WB's?
To heavy, either rutting or tracking up small sections of turf.

To long of a wheelbase, Either cut short or long on any uneven ground leaving a lousy finish cut.

In all fairness most ZTR's and Walks share the same problems.

Lawn Pawn

LawnSite Senior Member
In your opinion, what is the best stander?
Not gonna go there!!!!

There are sooooooo many threads regarding this. If there was only one best.... all the other manufacturers would be out of business. They all must have some good points.

For me it is some of what others say. But the final choice is who's money is being spent. I look at the total weight of the mower... the overall dimensions, as I need a small footprint. The geometry as it relates to weight distribution.... the ease of routine maintenance and adjustments.... and just commonsense design aspects. Not being able to operate a machine prior to purchase is a real handicap.

My stander did require some minor modifications for a good cut. Had to get the tip speed up and that required new pullies... easy cheap fix. Other than that, out of the box it is a fantastic mower. Other people write they hate this mower.

Where I live not many options for brands unless you travel 100 miles or so. Really tried to do my homework and by reading as much as I could on this site and it worked out for me.

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
i personally prefer standers to ZTR's...i think what it comes down to is the use, if you are mowing huge properties a ZTR is probably the way to go, especially since most standers aren't quite as fast ground speed wise...that would be the only negative in my opinion, ground speed, not really sure why standers aren't quite as fast as ZTR's...fatigue plays a role in both, i would say the stander is probably worse but only in the long run, possibly some future knee problems, but if you are sitting on a ZTR all day you get lower back pain or even cramps from bouncing around, possibly developing future back problems...from these two i would prefer standing still, i feel more efficient/productive