Standing Water Becoming a Problem

Trey Rose

LawnSite Member
Hello,

First time posting here. Appreciate all the help. Recently purchased a house that had a "french drain" installed. All of our roof water flows to one spot in the yard, but they couldn't extend the piping any further due to laws and regulations about being too close to a public water drain... with that said, this standing water is becoming a huge issue. The piping stops about 8-9 feet away from the road and the water just sits there. I'm looking for an alternative that is easy and cheap to get rid or disperse this sitting water issue. I've been told I can just dig a large hole and fill it with rocks/pebbles and that will help disperse the water, but want some advice from others as well! Thank you for your help.
IMG_4926.jpg
IMG_4924.jpg
IMG_4923.jpg
IMG_4922.jpg
IMG_4925.jpg

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Can you dig down at the end of the pipe about 2 feet? fill it with drainage rock. Should be about as wide, let the grass grow over it.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I would probably discreetly extend my pipe to that drain, and then raise up the low spot.
I wondered who "they are" in the ops post

OP
T

Trey Rose

LawnSite Member
I wondered who "they are" in the ops post
The previous owners of the house knew someone who "worked for the county" and they helped install everything... How would you go about extending the piping and making it descreet? I feel like it's pretty obvious when a big white pipe is sticking out of the ground to go into a drain haha

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You can also dig a trench from the pipe to the drain and fill it with rock so it drains to the curb by the drain. That way it will filter the water before it hits the drain.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
dig a trench...extend pipe to the curb...then cover pipe with grass. you won't be able to see the pipe.

if you have to even bust a notch out of the concrete at the curb so the pipe will sit flush. top of pipe even with top of curb.

you can even get some adapters and make the extension pipe smaller in diameter so it's less noticeable at the curb.

that is weird though...you would think with that hill the water would drain down off the property to the drain in the street without the need for a pipe.