1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

start cap on hard start kit

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Nov 24, 2007.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I had a call to fix a submersible pump (4" pipe) with a run cap, start cap and relay. I bypassed the bad overload protector and tried to start it and measured the amps - pegged the amprobe. I found the start cap was open and the run cap was good. The run cap was 10MFD and I couldn't read the value on the start cap. I called an AC supplier and the only one that would deal with me was an appliance store. They sold me a hard start cap that you hook in parallel with the run cap. I couldn't do that because there was 3 wires going down to the motor - common, one for the start windings and one for the run windings. So I hooked the start kit in place of the start cap and it worked - 11 amps. I told them I would get new parts, start and run cap and start relay and overload protector. I wonder what value start cap I should use and where I can find them.

Dan

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

With all those new parts, aren't you getting close to a new control box?

3. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I talked to the guys down at Polk Pump & Irrigation and they said they could get a new box.

Dan