1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

start or buy business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green boy1, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. green boy1

    green boy1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 88

    A friend of mine is selling his small lawn care business and he wants $10,000.

    A have been helping him doing the customers and they already know my, and the gross per month is $1500.They are close to my home (the farthest is 25min.)

    But his tools are 3 years old, he have a bob cat 61" 23 hp that works fine, 2 echo trimmers and a bp blower 12x6 open trailer and a chevrolet pickup truck the small one I think is the s10 series. I already have my k1500 chevy 6 cil. a 12x6 open trailer only need my tools and with $8000 I can buy the sale tools as him and I was thinking to invest $2000 in direct mail on (postcards full color or maybe b/w)

    Give me you're opinion do I go with my new tools and start my own thing or buy the business?

    Any advice? additional I was doing this for 7 years 7 years ago and want to restart this season, doing flooring just now.

    Have a good day guys:drinkup:
  2. fortdan

    fortdan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    If your serious about this I'd say buying his business sounds like a good idea. I would not flier though. If your lucky you'll get a 1% feed back, and of that 1% about 80% will be real clients, the other 20% will just be people wanting information not work! I'm fliering now, but that's because I'm just starting this fall. I will also flier in the spring, but after that I won't flier again. I'm just doing it to try and get my name out there. If/when you buy your friend's company, you will already have an established name. Word of mouth is the biggest form of advertising.

    PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,534

    If you are saying the truck and trailer and all the tools for 10K Go for it
    But Gross of 1500. is not worth anything, you can get that very quick on your own.
  4. fortdan

    fortdan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    Starting out at $1500/week is pretty good. It can take a little while to get that.
  5. indy2tall

    indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 417

    The business he is looking at grosses $1500 per month not per week.
  6. fortdan

    fortdan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    Oh, that's very much then.

    $10,000 for all that equipment, plus a few clients is still a good deal... I think
  7. green boy1

    green boy1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 88

    Thanks for the replays guys.

    Yea I think that if I buy the business and do heavy advertising I can double at least the income per month maybe in 4 month, so I can start whit the right foot and then having a income already is gonna be lot easier to make the business bigger in less time.
  8. boxsky

    boxsky LawnSite Member
    Messages: 178

    I do over 1500 a month working 1 1/2 days so there's lots of room for growth. I'd started my business this spring and was not going FT till 07. I owned another business i had to sell first. I will do 25k this season with working about 2 days a week with some of the side mulching, stone jobs.
    Most of my clients came from flyers. I had about a 1% return off of some time and about $150 in flyers. Hook up with a landscaper in the area too. I did and get referals from them and I in turn refer them. Of course they are high end. Most jobs are well over 100k.

Share This Page