Start up sprayer

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Called Gregson Clarke and discussed sprayers. He suggested the v-200 model. Currently I have a toyota tundra and would like to put it in the bed to carry along on my mowing routes. I know I'll be limited on how full I can fill the tank due to payload capacity but starting off with no accounts i'll manage. Told him I want 1/2 inch hose to be able to apply more volume as needed depending on what i'm applying. We discussed agitation and I think the by pass agitation will be fine for what i'll be doing in the beginning. If I understood him right he said for the routine treatments I wouldn't need the high pressure agitation system. He said around 10% of his units go out without it. At start all I really plan to do is treat bermuda and zoysia. As this end of the business grows my plan is to assign this to a route for an employee who will spray and fert only. So eventually we will reset the rig up to fit into a cab over or a van. Trying to set it up where the unit can either still be used or be valuable to me as a back up rig. Don't want to invest more than is needed but don't want to grow to a point in 2 years where the unit I buy now has no value to me. We discussed a high pressure strainer also. This one i'm unsure of, how important of a feature do you guys find this to be, how limited would not having it make me in the things I can apply? Any other must have features that I should consider or for starts does this sound like good bones to build on?

Thanks
Zach

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Actually, was thinking I could buy that rig in the fall or winter of 2021 and get a 4 gallon battery sprayer and a lesco spreader to do a practice season this year on my lawn and my friends. As long as I can get away without using agitation on the liquids and use dry fert only.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I think that's the route I'm going unless I'm advised different. That will give me time to learn more over the course of this year and work on revamping my website to get the jobs. Agitation is my only concern but I think I can work around it.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
High pressure strainer? What is that? Probably not needed. You have a strainer in the suction line in front of the pump--that is plenty.
It is not clear--Bermuda and zoysia--did you mean you will be spraying broadleaf herbicide only? Bypass agitation--you will be fine. Insecticide no problem.
Crabgrass control--if it is a powder or flowable like prodiamine--that is a bit more difficult--it may settle out overnight. You will learn to work with it. Dimension liquid crabgrass control is more forgiving, of course.

Adding dry fertilizer to dissolve--agitation is far more important.

You probably cannot put the unit in an enclosed truck, the carbon monoxide is dangerous.

You are right, of course, a little Toyota cannot handle the weight of a full tank. Around 1700 pounds. And yes, the half-inch hose is better--if you have 300 feet and an electric reel--and if it pays out hose to the turf side--not out the back.
And of course, you can spray your herbicides at low volume--less volume means less water as carrier. Use 2 gallons per thousand--maybe less with the right nozzles.
An electric backpack and a spreader will be helpful for small lawns or where the landscape is difficult. You need water for that--or you need to use whatever is in your tank--and--add additional herbicide.

Last edited:
OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll be spraying pre and post. I was looking at prodamine but ill look into dimension if it will work better with the back pack set up. I'd be mixing on-site, can prodamine be mixed on-site by shaking the sprayer? Would it stay mixed long enough to apply the 4 to 6 gallons in the back pack?

Was look at 3-d for my post emergent apps.

I was thinking using just granular slow release with a walk behind spreader but I'm still researching fertilizer. Biggest bulk of my study has been herbicide since I have the test coming up.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I never tried using prodaimine in a backpack. Back pack is low-volume. I am not sure Dimension would be suited for backpack, either. Use a spreader and granular pre-emergent for small lawns.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll be doing 10k lawns or less. 1 gallon per 1k of turf for post/pre. Could do most properties in 2 tanks if i get a 5 gallon gas powered sprayer. Liquid fert i figure would be out of the question at 3 gallons per 1k. Granular pre emergent work good? Haven't research granular application of pre, ill research. Mostly will be doing mine and families. Once I start getting clients I'll get a skid. Back pack and spreader is just to give me a year of practice without having 6k sitting in the back of my truck not making me money.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Actually for herbicide, you can use a half gallon per 1000 sqft. You need to use a bit less pressure.
Remember pressure does not kill weeds--chemistry does.
Try it a few times with water--40 pounds pressure or less.

Granular pre-emergent works fine. In theory, you can do a thousand sqft per minute. You can increase the rate slightly by walking slower--this in case you see an area that needs extra complete crabgrass control.

Last edited:

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I sprayed prodiamine for two seasons with a solo 4stroke and a @greendoctor double boom configuration. You just want to keep the whole unit "shaking" or moving around to keep it in suspension. I sprayed that if my memory is right at 1 gal per k with the double tip boom with red ai tips. Never had a problem. ALWAYS ran a tank full of clean water through it at the end of the day.

Top Forums