Starter fert with pre-emergent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Mar 16, 2019.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone used the starter fert with mesotrione at the time of seeding with good results? I could see it being good for people wanting to spring seed with high expectations. I was quoted $45 and change per 40 lb bag. I think it covers around 9000 square feet.

KerbDMK likes this.
  2. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I think this is one of those oxymoronic things.. grass seed and pre emergent :nono:

zlandman and Burnie like this.
  3. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

I’m seeding this weekend and have a thread going. I’m using tenacity. Riggle mentioned Scott’s starter fert now contains mesotrione (tenacity). It won’t hurt the germination of the grass seed depending on the variety being planted. I would seek others opinions, howver I believe KBG, tall fescue, PRG and some others are okay with the meso, however fine fescue would not be I believe.

KerbDMK likes this.
  4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ve used it in my own lawn during both spring and fall, and I think it works well in both situations. Considering the difficulties typically experienced with spring seeding, I would welcome any help that I can get in spite of the expense, considering how crabgrass can completely ruin a spring seeding.

5. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Member

scotts version or someone else?

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the feedback.

The stuff I saw was made by Lebanon I think.

KerbDMK likes this.
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used it with very good results. It was not a Scott’s product but one of the large Midwest blenders. I seeded KBG and PRG.

KerbDMK likes this.
  8. KerbDMK

I used the Scotts version, but Lebanon, I’m sure, would be a great product too. Be sure to apply at bag rate or you won’t be putting down the proper amount of Mesotrione.

9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

I wasn't happy when I try tenacity as a pre. Short lived with a bit of weed break through. For a spring seeding you don't have much choice i just plan on redoing it again later in the year.

10. KerbDMK

But, I’m, sure you read the label and understood that it only lasts a month, but can be reapplied, then followed by one of the other conventional pre-emergents to provide season-long protection.