Starter Fert

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Johnny79, Sep 11, 2018.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

In my area, I have good luck applying starter with the seed. Then another app of starter 2 weeks later. Then just normal fertilizer timing. Lots of water, especially the 1st week.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Senior Member

I use milo at seed down and then after the new grass hits about 1.5 inches I use starter fert.

I've found that a good scalping and tenacity as a preemergent will stunt your existing grass enough to let the new grass compete. Plus the preemergent effects of the tenacity really keeps the weeds out.

I was nervous the first time I used tenacity at seed down because I really thought it would affect my desirable seeds but it didn't. It's one of those things you need to experience to really believe..

3. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I love tenacity for just the reasons state above

MILO is soooo slow to release.....that 3-4 weeks after germination is acting like a second shot of synthetic starter fert.

water is the most important, then phosphate, then potassium, then nitrogen (if any)

I like the synthetic at seeding so that I'm not rolling a spreader over the newly germinated turf like when treating bare-spots