Starter not engaging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sgtmaj2, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sgtmaj2

Sgtmaj2 LawnSite Member

I have a ztrak 850a that was running fine the other day, I stopped it for a bit and went to start it back up but it wouldn't engage. I can hear the sylinoid click and the starter spin but the flywheel doesn't engage. I've checked the battery voltage it's 12.5, I'm getting voltage to the post when I turn the key, ive checked the starters resistance it's good, I've taken off every wire and burnished all the contacts. I've checked the flywheel and starters teeth and see no visible damage, cleaned it and put some wd40 on the shaft, I took the starter off and turned it over and verified that it not only spins but rides up the shaft as well, I manually advanced the flywheel 25 degrees 4 times and tried to engage different quadrants of the flywheel teeth, I even verified that the battery didn't unwire itself and reverse polarity because I drove it through a black hole, but all to no avail... Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

The roller clutch in your Bendix on the starter is bad. You did not list your engine model/spec but from what I see on the web, it should be a FX850V. Here is a link to the service manual for that engine.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1112691/Kawasaki-Fx850v.html#manual

JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Yep bad starter Bendix. Any automotive shop that rebuilds starters and alternators should be able to fix it for you.

4. Walker56

Doc8406, JLSLLC and Breezmeister like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Sgtmaj2

Sgtmaj2 LawnSite Member

That is the correct engine, and I have the manual already, but it rides up the spindle just fine when I test it is there anyway to verify it? I only ask because between the manuals for the engine, the mower, and the parts manuals for both I can't find any part numbers for replacing individual parts of the starter, only the whole thing for $250.

6. Walker56

Individual parts are probably not offered by the mfg. There is no need to go OEM for the starter. I provided a link for great aftermarket starters from DB. The issue is not that the Bendix assembly rides up or down the shaft. The gear that engages the flywheel has a one way clutch in it. The gear should only turn in one direction and lock up in the other.

Doc8406 and JLSLLC like this.
  7. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

FYI if the whole starter has to come apart to replace the Bendix then it is something best left for a professional. Lots of small parts and you could need specialized tools to hold everything for reassembly.

Walker56, Doc8406 and JLSLLC like this.
  8. Walker56

Go page 8-13 in the manual that I linked. It tells you right there how to check the starter drive clutch

hort101, Doc8406 and JLSLLC like this.
  9. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

OP.. do this and don't look back and don't make this complicated.. just get a new starter at a significant lower price and put it on!

Walker56 likes this.
  10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

yup, buy a new starter, be done with it.

Doc8406 likes this.