Starter not engaging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sgtmaj2, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If this isthe starter there is a switch in the tail end of the selenoid that transfer 24 volts to turn the starter. That CAN NOT be fixed by any shop....got to replace selenoid.

Screenshot (43).png

I ground one apart to find it.....

2. OP
    OP
    Sgtmaj2

Sgtmaj2 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a new starter, the assy spun both ways. I would have preferred to replace the part though, and I have specialty tools for everything under the sun from a lifetime spent fixing things so the work doesn't bother me, the cost on the other hand is usually the biggest deterrent when it comes to any repair I've ever come across.

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Sgtmaj2

Sgtmaj2 LawnSite Member

Ur right, I had just reached the point with this mower that has been abused by everyone that's ever worked on it, where I was frustrated and giving up. Thanks for grounding me

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  4. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Everything will work out. If you need any help, just post here

Breezmeister, Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have something like that going on with my Ferris 3200z. I turn the key and hear click, click. Some times it starts up. You think starter going bad? I just replaced it last year. I do start mower 15 to 20 times a day. Thanks guys. Is solonid include in starter purchase of this website you guys posted here?

6. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

You should start by checking all of your battery cable connections, both neg and pos , both ends, to ensure the integrity of the connections. The best test would be a voltage drop test. You can Google voltage drop. If everything checks out, your starter is bad

Breezmeister likes this.