Starter Torch Cutting Kit

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Oct 31, 2018.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I want to get my son a torch cutting kit to go along with the Lincoln Welder. The application will be light duty.....cutting off fence post...steel edging... This one that just popped up.

Screenshot (45).png

Any suggestions for good learner torch?

2. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TEXAS

ed2hess and JLSLLC like this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

You might want to consider looking at what your local gas and welding supplier sells. They will have some quality equipment and the service if you have a problem. If you don't have tanks you better price those out. I've had the same set for over 25 years and I think the regulators and torches were $300. GET SOME BACKFLOW PREVENTERS and learn a little about Acetylene safety.

kawasaki guy likes this.
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

You might wanna consider two stage regulators if yer gonna be using the rig a lot / or with small tanks and or ya wanna jes buy once and be done.
    I would stick with oxy/ acetylene, them other gasses ain't worth a chit IMHO.
    Buy yer own bottles if ya can, and get the biggest oxy tank ya can physically handle.
    I mean, ya may jes need the small tanks, dunno, but...
    As was mentioned, the bottles can be right expen$ive, but ya only gotta buy em once.
    I would shop fleabay fer the rig and the tanks or check yer local Craigslist or facebook marketplace. A good used two stage rig is usually way better than a cheap new one.
    To start with, ya really don't need them welding or heating tips. Jes a good cuttin' torch.
    Victor is about the best. I'm sure there are others, I think Uniweld is another good brand.
    I can tell ya, I still have the small Victor torch I bought about 50 years ago. The single stage regulators died many years ago, and I replaced em with Victor two stage units, still use 'em.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Walker56, Breezmeister and ed2hess like this.
  5. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

Propane has its advantages over acetylene. You don't have to worry about the acetone getting in the regulator and all the fun that that can cause if the bottles are not kept up right. It is also available at almost any store on the weekends when you run out. It is also a lot cheaper. The only drawback is you can not weld with propane, it does not make a shielding gas as it burns.

DXN1EL likes this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We run a mower off Propane would that be same? What does shielding gas mean?

7. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

Shilding gas is qhat would protecr the weld as it cools. But if you just want to heat and cut propane is the cheaper way

8. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

9. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

When welding either mig, stick, tig, or torch(oxy/what ever gas) the molten puddle is protected from oxygen and other impurities from a shielding gas. Mig and tig use compressed co2 or argon that flood the weld area and force out the atmosphere. Stick does similar with the flux burning off the stick. Torch welding with acetylene creates co2. Propane does not do make enough co2 to shield.

10. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

hort101 likes this.