• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Starting a business not going to jump in head first

shelbymustang616

LawnSite Member
Iv'e been reading alot in the starting a landscape business. I figured it would be hard to stop your full time job and start your business up with no clientel and struggling. I was looking for some advice of how some guys got started. I was thinking about going part time. I work for a landscape company now and the owner is teaching me everything he knows. I dont want to leave that opportunity to learn and start a business and not succeed. So, i wanted to work the weekends or maybe afternoons in my free time doing lawns build accounts, then go full time. ANother question is. If I am part time, what Legality issues do i have to go through. INsurance, IRS, Gvt' etc.

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
You have the same requirements by law to file taxes, be licensed, etc. as a full time lawn business even if you are part time. If you do it right and have insurance and pay taxes its really not worth it to mow 10 lawns. Does your boss know that he is teaching you everything he knows only to have you go out and start on your own? This industry has very low barriers to entry and this is the # 1 reason everyone and their brother cuts grass. It takes time and if you have a steady paycheck, better think twice.

kylecal91

LawnSite Member
I started by word of mouth but my business really took off when I went door-to-door with flyers. I would recommend just staying low key at first no reason to go out and pay fees for naming a business and filing and all that when you don't even have any customers yet. All depends on how you want to go about it. Just thought I'd give my 2 bits.

joel29m

LawnSite Senior Member
if you wanna go in it hard you may want to get licensed, insured, bus. account and good equipment, but the equipment takes blood sweat and tears to get if you dont have the cash yet. like outdoor said, with 10 yards dont go hard and owe all your profits back each year. also whatever you name your business get it notorized and stamped, you will not be happy if someone has the same name and has a bad history in business, it will mess your rep up. and try to get paid in cash more than check, and dont deposit all your cash.

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Stay with what you have.....continue to learn how to run the biz and be profitable. Learn how to bid and how to fugure your cost. I did the same thing, but it took a while before I started my own company. DO NOT SIGN a NON-COMPETE!

Once the owner finds out you are mowing on the side...you may be on your own sooner than you wanted!

OP
S

shelbymustang616

LawnSite Member
well i have talked to my boss when he hired me. I told him i planed on owning my own business. He runs a small successful company with 6 guys. We dont do any mowing at all. All hardscaping lighting and planting. He's taught me alot and im sure he knows sooner or later ill branch out and do my own thing. I guess my real question is iwant to hear how you guys got started. Did you jump right in? How did you get enough accounts jumping in to keep the business running? etc etc thanks again

kylecal91

LawnSite Member
I jumped right in by getting business any way I could (word of mouth and flyers. t'shirts have also helped my advertisement a lot). I started with used equipment and worked up to buying new as I could afford. I wouldn't recommend jumping right in without having any customers though.

joel29m

LawnSite Senior Member
last year i also jumped in my business head first with only 3 clients, by june it jumped to 8, and by november i had 27 yards, word of mouth, ads on craigslist, and in the neighborhood cutting yards. as far as the equipment, upgraded as the money kept coming, but the only thing i counldnt get was a commercial ztr due to my credit, so i ended up with a homeowners ztr. from the begining to around june, i was about to give up on it, but all of a sudden my phone rung off the hook, to the point i was making more money than the night job i had!

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
You have the perfect scenario.....become partners, use his book of clients, have your boss finance the start up and you do all the work. He just collects a check at the end of the month. Give him 50 percent of the profits. In the future who knows you can have your self a large mowing/landscape company when the guy is ready to move on. If the guy does good work, he has to have happy clients who would jump on board for mowing/ferts.

Atleast buy the guys book of clients for a few hundred. Dont give the guy a bad name, do a good job and always show up!

John Deere Mann

LawnSite Member
I worked part time too and took the giant leap. If you want it bad enough you will do fine.