Starting a company this year

pineymountain

LawnSite Member
Not really any questions- just introducing myself and saying hello...

Starting a part-time company this season. I teach HS full-time and need a change-up in life and this is the start.

Going to specialize in organics as I don't want to mess with chemicals and there is a market for organics here. I don't know if I will market myself as such because sometimes its easy and safe to just run through and spot squirt some round-up quickly in non- food producing areas or no-traffic areas... have to figure that one out. But I definitely want to approach each job with an over-all idea of the health of the yard's system as opposed to just throwing stuff down.

My goal this season is mainly to supplement my income, pay off debt, and see if this could work as a full time job. If it is working I'll take it from there. Borrowed 3K for a mower, trailer, and blower... if I cant find enough accounts to cover that then I am probably an idiot.

I don't have any residential experience but I worked at a state park for years and have many many of hours on a grasshopper, JD, and Toro zturn. Wife has masters in Horticulture and will be helping to consult design jobs if we work into that.

So that's the basics. This site has been a great resource over the past few weeks.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
Good luck! Remember get your bookkeeping, licensing, insurance squared away from the beginning - no insurance and one mishap - yikes!

ncnurseryman

LawnSite Member
Pineymountain,
glad to see i'm not the only one starting something new. I have a small wholesale/retail nursery in Rougemont, not too far from you (www.thetreefrognursery.com). Given the economy struggle i too am trying to supplement the nursery with a few lawn accounts stricly on a part-time basis. There seems to be a ton of lawn cutters out there every summer so hopefully there's enough for everyone.

nateslawncare

LawnSite Member
I started my own lawn care company when I was 15, and I'm now 19 and in college. I still have my company and have roughly 40 accounts. The biggest hurdle I found my first year was being firm with my prices, don't let someone talk you into being a low baller, even though you want the business. Also, QUALITY, nearly all my customers have been referrals... I had 15 accounts the first year I started. Don't cut corners, it will pay off in the end. Good Luck!

OP
P

pineymountain

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the advice.

It was funny, last night I had an extra ticket to the dook/UNC :)cry:) game and ended up taking my realtor. She is really willing to help me get started, even wants to set up a presentation for me for the other realtors in her office.

OP
P

pineymountain

LawnSite Member
Just got insurance- 600 a year for $3000 for equipment coverage and a million liability. $1500 deductible.

I need to take a day off to straighten out my business license and everything else.