1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

    Dismiss Notice

Starting a DBA in New York. Need some advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmike0215, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. bigmike0215

    bigmike0215 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    I've always loved being outside and doing work when the weather was nice. So as a teacher, I started cutting lawns since we teachers don't get paid in the summer. I am finally going to make by business legit as a DBA. If anyone has done their business as a DBA, what steps did you take? My trailer is going to be registered and I am making my truck a utility vehicle, which surprisingly wasn't that much more, and I did the country clerk DBA form. After this, I am stuck. Any New Yorkers out there who can help? Thanks.
  2. addictedtolandscaping

    addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 569

    Well Mike not only am I in NY but I am also just across the river from you. Once you get the DBA paperwork done, they should have given you the application for a sales tax number to complete and get submitted. From there, you have got to get insurance. I use the Tory Agency, they have managed to save me thousands over the years, I have gone to the point that i even have my personal policies there as well as my business policies. After that, advertising and then equipment. I do most of my business with Abele right there on Everett Rd, but have notoriously dealt with Menands True Value for years and years. I still get my trimmers etc from Frank and Tony. If you get to the point to do a logo and vehicle,trailer lettering, the sign studio in Troy is fantastic to deal with, upto and including on staff graphic artists.

    If there is anything else I can answer for you and I am sure you have tons of questions shoot me an email or pm. I will try to help you any way I can.
  3. newtostone

    newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 681

    Tomorrow ill get you the NY state web address which will walk you through every step you need, and which forms youll need as well. As well as the DOT information and insurance youll need. Just give me 24 hours for that and Ill have all the links up here for you. Any questions please feel free to ask.
  4. ALLPro Landscaping

    ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 813

    Pm me and ill send you what you need for the state of yew york
  5. bigmike0215

    bigmike0215 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

  6. newtostone

    newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 681

    Ok So here is a little heads up I don't have my old computer anymore which has all the info needed but this should get you on the ground and running.

    Go to this site.

    So on the left hand side you'll see choose business type. Click G-L, because your landscaping, then scroll down to the bottom of that page and on the lower right hand side you'll see “Next search results” Click that.

    Now on this page you will see “landscaping” click on that.

    And fallow the instructions as you go.

    At the end of all of this it should give you a list of permits and documentation you need to be “legit” as far as reporting to the state. (I think) not sure what the end results will yield.

    Employees- Any workers and you'll need workers comp. And then payroll taxes and so on, I highly recommend getting a payroll company. When doing so shop around prices vary hugely and can really save you some money.

    Insurance- I personally use Nationwide and they cover my workers comp. As well as commercial autos general snow & Ice. I have a great agent and its worth the money.

    Also this is another link that may help you out


    OK. theres so many odd and ends here I am not sure if I have covered them all ( I doubt it) but the easiest part is going to you local county clerks office and filing.

    Ask any questions you have and ill answer to the best of my ability.
  7. newtostone

    newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 681

    Oh and it just hit me, I am not even sure if any of those links I gave you have anything about doing chemical applications but you need a license to do so in nys. Yup even the stuff from home depot and lowes! If you are interested I can get you the information to your local DEC which will walk you through everything step by step. They are also the ones who will drive up and random inspections on your truck and trailer ( They've done it to me:clapping:) Frankly I enjoyed them stopping by while I was working, I got to know who they were as well as knowing that some of the guys running around town without any paperwork are getting caught. I thanked them for checking in and made a new contact.
  8. newtostone

    newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 681

    Sorry to hit this up a 3rd time, but check my past posts for the DOT website. That will get you set up with your DOT numbers and truck registration which you'll need if the tags on your truck and trailer combined will total more than 10,000 lbs
  9. bigmike0215

    bigmike0215 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    I appreciate all the info guys. Helped a great deal.
  10. All Seasons Landscaping

    All Seasons Landscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 42

    Very good info, newtostone. Thanks for sharing!

Share This Page