• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Starting a part-time business

Retiring at 57

LawnSite Member
Hello, lawn dudes! Please allow me to introduce myself. l'm a guy who is planning on retiring in about a year or so from my civilian job as a sheetmetal mechanic with the Air Force. l'm looking for something to do to supplement my retirement income , and l've mowed a lot of yards, so l thought the lawn business would be worth a look. l actually tried this once before, about twenty three years ago, when l was between jobs. Trouble was, l couldn't afford a decent truck so l bought a piece of junk that immediately proceeded to break down on me. l was raking in the $$ until that happened. Back then l didn't care about keeping any records for tax purposes, l just figured l'd work for cash and it wouldn't make any difference. ln other words, l guess l used to think of mowing lawns as something you could do for cash like a kid does lawns in his neighborhood or whatever. l wasn't really looking at it as a business, per se. What l'd like to know, first off is, at what point does it become a BUSINESS rather than just "picking up a few bucks" here and there? l mean, is it when you start drawing up contracts, when you start making a certain amount, when you advertise using a company name? l'm looking at a pretty limited enterprise here, maybe twenty lawns a month, a one man (me) operation, $800 to $1200 a month. Can some of you guys throw me a clue? Would much appreciate it. Cheers!:cool:

charlies

LawnSite Senior Member
20 lawns a month or 20 lawns a week? 20 lawns a month is actually like 5 customers.

it's a real business when you start treating it like one. paying all your taxes, having an ein, insurance.

A-1 Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Wish u the best. We have just started our new buss. with only two accts. A ad breaking out on the first of the mo.hitting approx 40000 homes. Spent apprpx $8000 so far at age of 50s. Just the wife and I, and will only mow two days a week. 48 SCAG z WITH VAC USED WITH 1.6 HRS

OP
R

Retiring at 57

LawnSite Member
Sounds like a good plan. l've got an '01 Toyota Tacoma with a short bed, but am planning on getting a trailer, a couple of mowers, a leaf blower, edger, trimmer, etc.. Right now, l'm researching all the opinions, etc., on this board. BTW, l'd like to thank the administaters of this site, it's a great help. Already, l've found out a lot of info regarding taxes, etc. Just out of curiosity,"A-l", how much $$ do you plan on making, mowing just two days a week? Are they large properties, commercial,or residential?

OP
R

Retiring at 57

LawnSite Member
Originally posted by charlies
20 lawns a month or 20 lawns a week? 20 lawns a month is actually like 5 customers.

it's a real business when you start treating it like one. paying all your taxes, having an ein, insurance.
So, you're assuming that you go back and mow each one every week? l was thinking more in terms of repeating every ten days or so, but then again, l haven't done this for quite awhile, so l'm a little "fuzzy" with the math. Thanks for your feedback, though. Every shred of info l can get from experienced folks helps. l have about a year to go before l can get into this business, and want to hit the ground running! Cheers.:blob2:

charlies

LawnSite Senior Member
i don't know what the season is like in tx. but here in the n.e. we mow on average 27-30 times a year. we mow every week when the grass is growing.

i think if you're going solo, you should be able to do around $250-450 in lawns a day. low end of scale if you're using homweowner equipment, taking it kind of easy, and with loose routes, high end in you're using commercial equipment, tight routes, and your bustin' @ss.

for 2 days a week and 1 person, i would try to pick up 12-16 1 acre properties at $50. that's just me though.

Team Gopher

LawnSite Platinum Member
Hi Retiring at 57,

What l'd like to know, first off is, at what point does it become a BUSINESS rather than just "picking up a few bucks" here and there?
I think a business becomes a business as soon as you implement your plan. I wish you the best this year with your business :)