Starting an Equipment Dealership!!!

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Dealer and lawn care on the side? I wouldn't do business with my competition. I have never seen that type combo here. I agree with others. You have to have deep pockets to be a dealer. You have to find good mechanics. Sell and repair. Not sell and cut grass
I disagree, there’s many of company that sell salt to contractors and plow and salt their own properties.
In fact there’s a large outfit in Michigan that sells Landscape materials as well as salt and then plows commercial/ industrial, the company’s even has their own deicer that they trademarked.

There’s also companies that will become dealers to give more work to their mechanics and get a discount on implements.
To not do business with competition is foolish imo, just don’t be shady about it.

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Pretty sure the big boys like Scag, Exmark, John Deere and Kubota don't just give franchises just to anybody . Probably have you make a sizable investment in facilities. I know for sure Kubota does. You just can't sell them out of your basement:laugh: I know somebody who tried to make it on the lessor brands(repair shop too) and failed after 10 or so years. Finding and keeping good mechanics is very difficult

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey pat! Good luck brother. Don't mean to tweak your idea a little.....But for the last 4-5 months I have found a serious lack of knowledge in the bucket truck market. Honestly out of 30-40 trucks i have looked at, been around, and talked to the owners it has been a $hit show because. 1. they don't know what they even have mechanically. 2. standard deviation of prices are like +- 30-60k for the same truck +- a few miles. I am honestly thinking about pursuing this as some fun money. Just thinking a very nitch market
The way to do it no matter what you decide is home equity loan your house and run with the ball.
good luck, and any questions in the bucket truck field shoot me a pm.

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Hey pat! Good luck brother. Don't mean to tweak your idea a little.....But for the last 4-5 months I have found a serious lack of knowledge in the bucket truck market. Honestly out of 30-40 trucks i have looked at, been around, and talked to the owners it has been a $hit show because. 1. they don't know what they even have mechanically. 2. standard deviation of prices are like +- 30-60k for the same truck +- a few miles. I am honestly thinking about pursuing this as some fun money. Just thinking a very nitch market
The way to do it no matter what you decide is home equity loan your house and run with the ball.
Are you joking again?:laugh: I have a home equity line. I used to borrow from it in small amounts like under $10000. Now it is just there for emergencies. One reason is that the line interest rate can fluctuate . Better to have it low enough so you can quickly pay it off if rates shoot upward. Great for a backup plan. Not so great for a primary, starting a business plan imo

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you joking again?:laugh: I have a home equity line. I used to borrow from it in small amounts like under $10000. Now it is just there for emergencies. One reason is that the line interest rate can fluctuate . Better to have it low enough so you can quickly pay it off if rates shoot upward. Great for a backup plan. Not so great for a primary, starting a business plan imo
Completely agree. It would be terribly foolish to put your home on the line for a business idea that has the high probability of not working out.

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Imo NEVER use a home equity line of credit or home equity loan for your business! If you HAVE to borrow use so other means. You DO NOT want to secure business debt especially to your house!
if you want to get some good information about these types of loans or many other money related things check out Money Wise with Rob West and Steve Moore. Great resources.

ShowCaseLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member

Great ideal how about buying a chipper and stump grinder as well. Just max out a few credit cards it’s all fun money.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Going to be tough going because the capital situation. I second the idea start with repair shop and go from there. I'd sell battery hand helds first. Greentouch, dewalt, Milwaukee etc.. stock those and I bet they sell good. Then get some gas equipment.
Then you need to look at becoming factory auth. Service center for the brands you're interested in. Brands will be more willing if you show you can properly represent them.
Work hard to build a great reputation in the community, ultimately this is the one thing that will make or break this endeavor.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Come to think of it Bobcat mowers are sold in unlikely places. Like feed stores and garden nurseries, non established repair shops. Try getting product line from them!