Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started cutting grass when i was like 13 then when i graduated high school i had the bright idea of starting my own business and i did pretty good for 2 years until i combined with my stepdad's business ever since then ive did all the work and made no money, the idea was he would go out and talk to the costumers and do quality control witch never happened but thats over now and i'm back on my own. ive noticed in the past year and a half people just arn't spending money like they used to i dont know if its because of the economy or what but i think i had more work when it was just me and a 79 pickup truck then i do now with newer lettered trucks and professionally dressed employees people just are not calling for work. i mean i dont advertise and never have because i couldnt aford it but i think i definatly need to be in the yellow pages. i was talkin to mexican guy that used to work for us the other day and he had guys riding around in junkie trucks and he sits home all day and gets drunk i dont understand it ive busted my ass for 6 years trying to be a legitimate company and the god damn american pubilc would rather pay paco 12 dollars with no insurance sending half his money back to mexico instead of a professional company to cut their grass, anyway what im getting at is i need commercial properties to survive i think at this point, any ideas on how to go about getting new contracts and is there any competing with brickman and truegreen?

·
Banned
9,284 Posts
If you think things are bad in Delaware, Try SW Florida....

·
Registered
377 Posts
i need commercial properties to survive i think at this point, any ideas on how to go about getting new contracts and is there any competing with brickman and truegreen?
I would start by brushing up on your writing skills. If you present a proposal or contract that even resembles the hodge-podge of poor spelling, sentence structure and lack of punctuation that you presented above, any facilities manager worth a dime would laugh your request to the circular file before you get so much as a cursory consideration.

·
Registered
377 Posts
haha thanks, i was in a bad mood when i wrote that and just said what was on my mind. I didn't expect to get and "A" on my post from my english teacher lol.
It's funny that you say that though i have been thinking of going back to school and taking some landscape constuction classes and salesmanship.
Are you still in a bad mood? It doesn't appear that your grammar has gotten much better. I don't mean to be picky, but some of the posts on this forum are so hard to read because people don't feel the need to use capitalization, punctuation and proper sentences. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but please, use the spell check, and read your post back to yourself before submitting!

·
Banned
3,389 Posts
go back to the old junker truck and operate under a different name. things will start booming again. people call the new lawn guys with crappy stuff cause they think they are cheaper and will be more willing to negotiate prices and come a runnin whenever they (customers) get lonlely and need a desperate lawn boy to talk to.

·
Registered
975 Posts
In this market you have to be smart and not bitter. You can't get mad at anyone for going with the lowest price. I don't like it either.

However.......

It sounds like you aren't making enough money so, Cut back on your overhead if you can. Keep your new truck. Get a part-time gig if you have to winter is coming. I know you don't like it but it's all about making it and survival.

Lawn care is changing because of the economy. People aren't paying ALOT for landscaping.

Build your business with what you know what people are paying. Grass cutting, gutters,lawn cleanups. Do your numbers and figure your break even point and MARKET:confused: duh.

It's ok to vent but don't be bitter. But vent then plan.

Just my 2cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.