Starting from scratch. Marketing Ideas? Advice? HELP!

Ole_blue

LawnSite Member
Seriously man don't do it!:laugh:
There are probably plenty of Insurance companies you could work for that would fit your goals. You're going to be scrapping over Florida cheap lawns. Not sure if you did the health insurance side of the Business. Really will be a struggle to get affordable health insurance. At 29, you really need to think about that. 50 comes around pretty fast. Now if you have saved a lot of money and have investments... But you say you are buying used equipment....
So you have 11 more high energy years. Start dropping off in your 40s. Can get much worse in your 50s. The Florida heat and humidity won't help any. 30 average Florida lawns is a drop in the bucket from what NET income is needed to get out of poverty for your area.
Some say why be so negative. People going into any business sometimes ignore reality. Ignore the negative aspects. Oh I am so unhappy, I just need a change! Read this forum. Read the good and the bad and the ugly.
How to get business? I would hate to be a newbie in already saturated lawn care. Like has been said, post cards are one good tool. Family, friends and neighbors. One lawn sometimes leads to others. That is if you do a great job. You will do a lot more driving than working at first. I would not resort to low balling your way in. You can't go much lower in Florida anyway. In 5 or 10 years you will have to replace everything
Seriously man, don't do it!:laugh::waving:

Wow, seriously why bother being part of lawnsite if your just going to bash someone attempting of starting their own lawn business.

Advertise on the side of your truck or trailer. Drive around and ask people you see around areas you want to work. Drive around on weekends and late afternoons when people are home. Be seen and people will think you must be doing good cause your "working" all over the place. Dont really need to be seen working just in the area.

I dont advertise but I always waive to neighbors or any one looking my way. Sometimes people are scared to ask and a simple waive breaks the ice.

Dont get desperate, summer is coming and last year I had plenty of new customers needing service. This was in established areas. Most new construction over in st cloud ( south of orlando) 275 to 300k for house and people dont have the money for a basic 80 a month lawn service. I still try to get into subdivision close by (new) but most people dont have the money or get it for 60. I'm in it to try and make money not a charity.

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Wow, seriously why bother being part of lawnsite if your just going to bash someone attempting of starting their own lawn business.

Advertise on the side of your truck or trailer. Drive around and ask people you see around areas you want to work. Drive around on weekends and late afternoons when people are home. Be seen and people will think you must be doing good cause your "working" all over the place. Dont really need to be seen working just in the area.

I dont advertise but I always waive to neighbors or any one looking my way. Sometimes people are scared to ask and a simple waive breaks the ice.

Dont get desperate, summer is coming and last year I had plenty of new customers needing service. This was in established areas. Most new construction over in st cloud ( south of orlando) 275 to 300k for house and people dont have the money for a basic 80 a month lawn service. I still try to get into subdivision close by (new) but most people dont have the money or get it for 60. I'm in it to try and make money not a charity.

Telemarketing is a scummy way to advertise. That is my opinion. You dont have to like it . Just harassing people. I dont know how many times I have gotten off the mower to answer the phone only to find out it some jackazz selling some crud I am not interested in. My phone is for my benefit. Been took over by spammers

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Charles napping. Phone rings. This is freaky geeky vinyl siding . We have a special going on! Vinyl siding on you home with up to 50 free winders!. Charles, you're in luck freaky! I have a special of free shotgun shells and holes in the ground. Come on over Freaky my man!:laugh:

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Charles napping. Phone rings. This is freaky geeky vinyl siding . We have a special going on! Vinyl siding on you home with up to 50 free winders!. Charles, you're in luck freaky! I have a special of free shotgun shells and holes in the ground. Come on over Freaky my man!:laugh:
Sounds like I better not call you...

flashsmith

LawnSite Member
If you need quick cash flow try greenpal. Yes they are crappy lawns but you gotta get money coming in somehow. When I first started I used Thumbtack it was cheap and reliable and I got a good bit of work. They are not so cheap anymore. I went with a website and trailer signage. The website in my opinion was a waste of money. I get maybe 30 clicks a week with hardly ever an actual contact. It's rough in our market and honestly most people want cheap prices and don't really care who mows it for them as long as they show up and don't break anything. Word of mouth is the best advertising tool in our business. I picked up 3 accounts today by referral from current customers. This after just losing an HOA to a low-ball bid. Constant highs and lows in this business.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
As RigglePLC said route density is a key, no almost a must, in this biz. Let's says you get a new customer on ABC Street... By all that is holy either mail or door hanger every single last yard on that street every single time you mow over there. You got some extra cash get all the subs addresses and mail to them regularly until you get 8 or 10 in that tight area. It works just takes some effort.

OP
GCPS

GCPS

LawnSite Member
Hey guys. UPDATE: I'm one month in and I've learned a lot already. Kind of a summary... I have 5 customers for weekly service and I'm charging them $80-90mo. I have 2 customers on Bi weekly and I charge them $65mo. I've done 3 Lanscaping/sod jobs and 1 property clean up. My total profit from my first month is just over $2,000. I'm pretty satisfied with this considering I just started with 0.
I've passed out 300 of my 1500 postcards in one month I did it in a random neighborhood. Didnt get 1 call from them yet. Bummer. All my customers are from Craigslist. I post on there every 2 days for $5.00. I post this much on CL because I want the customer to see my company's post within the first 3 or 4 posts when they search for lawncare. I spent $50 to run an ad on Facebook and Instagram for 2 weeks. They said I reached 3,000 people but I only got one message from a low baller that I didnt take. I'm completely on Yardbook and it seems nice. To be honest I'm getting a lot of landscaping requests. I have another small sod job scheduled for next week. It will take about a day and I'll make $375.00. My customers are all in nicer neighborhoods and I haven't handed out postcards in those areas yet. The heat and working outside feels good. To be honest I could grind and try to market more with postcards and stuff but I'm enjoying myself and just riding the wave. I took my family to Orlando for a weekend of fun during MAY. I feel like I have some energy again. New outlook on life. I'm around my kids and girl more. Me and my girl have been at each other like rabbits :). I'm looking forward to this new journey. I'm going to give it to SEP or OCt and reevaluate. Thanks for all the replies.

Kulik Lawn

LawnSite Member
I can help pass you some leads in North Pinellas if you send me your number. I only work up to Dunedin. When I started I used Home Advisor and craigslist. Truth is craigslist is your best bang for your buck to get some easy jobs and cash flow. Homeadvisor is nice for better high end accounts ( usually )...But you better know what you are really doing before you compete with other pro's for these leads you are paying atleast $20 each for. I would only post once a week on CL for the $5 charge...I usually would post them on a monday or a thursday. I found a post before the weekend always worked best. Target your area...dont just say Pinellas. These people will run you ragged chasing down free estimates all over the county for cheap money.

Top Forums