Lawn Care Forum banner

Starting fun project this week

7K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  enorl76 
#1 ·
If the weather cooperates we will begin work on this project. It is a large horse jumping arena. We will be looping the arena with 4" fed with 6" from a 40 hp submersible. There will be 6 "hydrants" that will have a 3" solenoid valve controlling it that they will connect the Nelson big gun sprinklers to that will be mounted on carts that they can move around.

This is similar to what will be built.

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't understand the purpose. These carts need a hose attached? You need to wheel them out when needed?
They needed not have any heads in the turf because they are a hazard to the horses. So they wanted to water from the edges, the only head that will come close to covering is the Nelson big guns. Originally they were going to be mounted on perminant posts but the fear is that if the wind is blowing a certain way when the show tents are set up we could send 175 gpm into the VIP cocktail tent. So they want to be able to move them. But other than the center head they will stay in place most of the year except when the show is on.

#12 ·
#20 ·
I'm not really buying it, mind you, but maybe there's someone out there dumb enough to not set a big gun above head height. I do remember one residential system done with Thompson rotors with such a high-pressure high-volume spray, that it was painful to touch the stream of water.

#21 ·
I'm not really buying it, mind you, but maybe there's someone out there dumb enough to not set a big gun above head height. I do remember one residential system done with Thompson rotors with such a high-pressure high-volume spray, that it was painful to touch the stream of water.
The nozzle thrust of the big gun style of head must be pretty high but I have seen these animals up close and personal a time or two and can assure you that they are pretty resilient. The part that amazes me is that someone could actually find a place in a feedlot close enough to the ground to install a big gun that would injure much less kill anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Is this an all 2-wire system? Or just your new work?
Posted via Mobile Device
The original system is conventional, but it is a mess. They have multi strad run all over, splices that no one remembers where they are, main line and wire buried under 8' berms. So I thought that 2 wire was they way to go, even though I am only installing 6 zones (sprinklers) given the size of the property expansion is likely.

#26 ·
A few progress pics

Where is the trench spoil in the first 2 pics? Due to this being a horse facility, are you backfilling with a stabilized material?
I was not responsible for any of the trenching on this project. They had their guy do it. I just painted out where I wanted it.

In those pics the spoiles were removed because they used that same trench to fix a drainage problem that they had. They dug the trench 5' down through the clay to sand then back filled 2' with trucked in sand, we installed our main then they filled the rest with sand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.