Starting Lawns

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ReRide, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ReRide

ReRide LawnSite Member

I usually get asked to help start lawns for Habitat for Humanity. They want a nice lawn, but on a budget. On a newly constructed home I back fill dirt with my Bobcat, and shape the lawn. But I don't have a lot of equipment specific to final shaping and seeding. I do have a small rear tine tiller, and can rent a tiller for the Bobcat. Doing it on the cheap, we have usually broadcast seed and lightly drag or rake after seeding. If I were to add another piece of equipment that would make forming a new lawn on a new construction site easier, should I be looking at a specific attachment or piece of equipment? Thanks in advance.

2. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

A rockhound? They have those for the dingo too.

3. ReRide

ReRide LawnSite Member

The Rockhound looks fantastic. What may be in the budget is a used King Kutter Landscape rake. I'm set up for mowing with a Grasshopper 725D and pasture cedar tree removal with the Bobcat, two pretty much unrelated activities. But I think I'll be investing in at least a landscape rake. Thanks.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And one more thing--plant lots of seed. I just read MS thesis from Iowa State University, guy's name was Hoiberg or something like that under the direction of Dr Dave Minner, Horticulture, specializing in turfgrass. He found that the more seed you plant, the more grass you get. They were sowing annual ryegrass on a practice football field and incorported the seed with an artificial cleated roller to simulate football traffic. He wanted to find the maximum seeding rate--at which point no additional density resulted. No additional benefit happened at 18 times the usual seeding rate.

https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/etd/10483/

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

If you want long term viability plant density has it's limits. Establishing perennial grasses to create a long lasting lawn is totally different from patching high traffic athletic fields in season with annual rye.

tobylou8 likes this.