1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

starting new business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tedfrk, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. tedfrk

    tedfrk LawnSite Member
    Messages: 120

    my dad and i are starting a lawncare business in new jersey and noticed some of you are licensed,how do i get licensed?and what legallities are some of you meaning llc. sole proprietor,or so on,what is the best choice?any other help would be much appretiated.i tried searching this but nothing came up.
  2. 12Valve

    12Valve LawnSite Member
    from NC
    Messages: 115

    Bump wondering the same thing
  3. Alpha Property

    Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 409

    I wouldn't cut any lawn that i couldn't walk to from my front door without being licensed and INSURED! lol deff not worth doing if your not going legit. and remember in Ontario anyway its around $1000 for every 1mill of liability insurance coverage, and if ur going to become licensed and insured i sure hope ur good at keeping track of money and receipts cuz if the government ever comes knocking you had best be prepared. Also if ur gunna become legit, don't forget the commercial or business usage insurance on ur truck, i've gotten pulled over for "not securing my 1000lb lawn mower to the trailer floor" while the ramp's up and parking break's on and it never rolls around, anyway, the police check for proper vehicle insurance.
    For my it worked out best to become sole proprietor and hire my dad on as an employee, this way if he ever loses his job at the paper mill i can keep him on as an employee, low paid advisor or assistant, and then lay him off for the winter months
  4. jwalker17

    jwalker17 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    Good to see another "local" - could you message me your policy providers name? Also what coverage you have. I am goin into fulltime solo now (as sole-proprietorship)!

    Any insurance help would be great!

  5. Puddle of Oil

    Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,202

    go to your secretary of state website or legalzoom.com, search this site again. its on here!
  6. Buddy Buds

    Buddy Buds LawnSite Member
    Messages: 147

    All you have to do to become licensed is go to your county inspection department and fill out the application. Since I'm a sole proprietor and solo it cost me $116. I bought my insurance from an independent carrier who handles Liberty Mutual's Montgomery label. For $2000000 aggregate liability and a marine policy to cover my equipment it cost between$800-$900 a year. This does not include my truck insurance.:walking:

    DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,780

    I would call an accountant and discuss it with them. That's what I did. He set me up with an S Corp. It worked out really well and it was well worth the money. I also have my insurance through Brauer, Hansen, and Izdebski. They find me the best rates and are always on the ball.

    Where are you located at in Jersey? I might be able to get you some more localized info. Hope this helps a little bit.
  8. jwalker17

    jwalker17 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    we're located up in toronto! thanks for all the advice. Quick question - equipment is insured under marine equipment? Even plow/season items or larger (stand-on) mowers>

    DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,780

    I have no idea why (and either does any insurance agent I've ever met) that they call equipment insurance...inland marine. It's very weird...but important!:)
  10. jwalker17

    jwalker17 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    hahaha thats ******** - im am going toj start calling people landfishes.

    thanks for all the help clearing that up! much appreciated!

Share This Page